Wednesday, May 28, 2008

R.I.P. Sidekick

A few years back my boyfriend at the time figured out how to stay in constant contact with me without ever really communicating-- He bought me a Sidekick. We chatted constantly. While he was in meetings… playing Madden… on a DATE… umm yea, you get the point. It afforded us a way to be close while we lived on opposite sides of the country. It wasn’t until much later in the relationship that I started to realize that maybe it wasn’t such a good thing. Sure, I heard from him all the time but I didn’t talk to him as much as I used to. And the fact that he could live a double life and I was none the wiser—well that was a bit of a problem too. But even when that relationship finally met it’s demise, my dependence on my Sidekick stayed strong. Needless to say, my life has never been the same.

Because I don’t actually like to “talk” on the thing, I have kept two phones for the last few years—a talking phone and a texting/IM’ing/email phone. And you could pretty much guarantee that I would never answer the talking phone when you called because I didn’t pay any attention to that one and am a horrible phone person, but text me and you would get an instant reply. I will be the first to admit that I am far too unimportant to require two phones but I felt comfortable with the situation and I refused to change. Lately though, I had become quite frustrated. You see the Sidekick is mainly a gimmick phone. There are way better phones out there that do the things I’m interested in far better, but sidekicks found their niche and ran with it and I had gladly hopped on board and was refusing to jump ship. I was the epitome of loyalty. Until last week…

The darn thing broke AGAIN! Imagine. The dismay! Distress! Shock! Panic! Dread! Alarm! Oh how will I ever survive??!!! (btw…if you have texted me in the past week and received no response, I was NOT ignoring you.) I figured it was time for me to once and for all break the bond between my sidekick and I. I was determined to finally merge my life into one single phone that would do everything I could possibly want and get rid of an extra phone bill in the process. It took me a minute to figure out what I really wanted and also to figure out a way to obtain it without selling my left kidney to purchase it, but I am proud to announce that I am now an official member of the ‘CrackBerry’ club. I am going to have to let go of the phone number I’ve had since I was 19 and the excellent relationship I’ve built with Sprint, but it’s for a worthy cause. I can now travel the world and email to my hearts delight as well as PIN all my other fellow blackberry users at no charge! (This is only important to track folks.)

In closing, I’d just like to thank the Sidekick for being a great companion for all these years. Unfortunately it’s time for me to move on to bigger and more addictive things but you will always have a special place in my heart.

14 comments:

anonymousnupe said...

Why do you have to give up your phone number? When the law governing that changed a few years ago it was an epiphany.

Brianna said...

well i have two phone numbers so i am giving up the one I've had the longest, which is an Arizona number.

Bodies By Joice said...

He he
Welcome to crackberry world.

Whats your pin? lol

Anonymous said...

What? You're getting rid of the AZ number? I take that personal. Very personal. For a long time I called mine BB and people thought I had a kid named BB or something because I would misplace her and then wander around looking distressed while yelling "BB, where are you...BB...BB can you hear me?" Anyway, you're going to love it...just remember to lock it before you throw it in your bag...or stop talking smack. No flip=dangerous. :)

Anonymous said...

http://www.wkyc.com/news/local/news_article.aspx?storyid=90481&catid=45

wmcarroll73 said...

My condolences at the lost of your dear and trusted sidekick. I am sure right now as I type, your Sidekick is locking down from that Sprint store in the sky and saying, "Don't beep for my death. I am in a place where there are no more cyber-viruses. I can truly say, no liquid spilled on me will prosper. So please, Please. Don't beep for me." LOL

Jasmine said...

Holy mother of god. You're *FINALLY* giving up that darn sidekick. No more Paris Hiltonness for you. Welcome to adulthood.
:)
btw, i miss you.

White Flower said...

Geez, i thought you were ignoring me! Okay, you're forgiven : )

I'll call you today. Or email. I don't know which number to contact you at.

Brianna said...

@ jasmine...says the girl who just started texting a few months ago!

@ bi...either for right now. at least for a couple more weeks.

Jackie E. said...

Welcome to the club:)

Eb the Celeb said...

Welcome to the crackberry club...

Me and Semipro just had an argument about this... he wants the sidekick 4... and got mad when I said kicks are for kids and that he should graduate to a bberry.LOL!

I'm warning you now that Bberry IM is probably the most addictive part of this little gadget...

Anonymous said...

Ms. Glenn,
I couldn’t help but think that the most profound part of the blog was the intro. How our modern means of “staying in touch” are rarely communication, ya know, the type that builds and maintains real relationships.
I thought of how when the Telegraph was introduced there were all these proclamations about it bringing in an era of world peace because now nations could “communicate” instantly and therefore solve their problems. Hummm, wonder what happened to that? Same things got said about the telephone and we’re familiar with how “great” more advanced means of connecting are. Problem is, as your intro so succinctly highlighted, none of this has much to do with real communication among people. Probably going to be the opposite. Funny isn’t it, how easy it is to lie, deceive and cover-up with modern electronic “communication”.
Real communication still happens heart-to-heart. Just seems more people are really afraid of that…
Daniel

Anonymous said...

This is just great (sarcasm). I switched to sprint because the people I talked to most had sprint service. Now everyone's jumping ship. Plus, with you getting rid of your AZ number I'll have one less phone number that I know by heart... boooo

Anonymous said...

I still do the two phone deal today; one is mainly for business and the other is for personal/business and guess what, the latter is a Blackberry via AT&T! Welcome to the club pretty lady!

I love my Blackberry Curve and why I can say I would know what I would do without it, I really do not want to find out anytime soon because I love it. Fortunately, I am a man that appreciates balance, so the Blackberry never takes over my life, but again, I love having it!

Do enjoy!

:::Marcus LANGFORD:::