Thursday, October 20, 2011

Four Years Later...

This is an anniversary blog of sorts. Four years ago I started a blog. You can read my very first entry here,, in case you are curious and you don't happen to be one of my five original readers. I introduced myself and shared why I wanted to document such an important time of my life. 2008! It was an Olympic year and my dream was to be an Olympian. I wanted the opportunity to not only share with my friends and family what the experience was like for me, but also give myself a way to remember. The plan was for the blog to have a years worth of memories detailed and documented, and it was all going to culminate in me making the Olympic Team. The End.

If it were only that simple...

Four years ago I thought I was closing in on the defining moments of my career. I felt that my time had finally come and that I had grown enough and learned enough to be the athlete that I always knew I could be. Thank God it was happening at just the right time because as we all know, getting the opportunity to become an Olympian doesn't happen very often. But as most of you probably know, my story didn't end up as I had planned it. Instead of having my defining moment, I had surgery. Instead of making my way to China wearing USA proudly on my chest, I sat around for four months in my friends guest room and tried to figure out what else to do with my life. I had planned on using this blog to document my journey to the Olympics in 2008, but instead I had to settle for documenting my life as it actually happened.

It's crazy to read that first entry from four years ago and see myself right back in that same place. It is the start of the 2012 season and I am still documenting my journey with the same goal in mind. It is an Olympic year and I want to be an Olympian. I want to share with my friends and my family what the experience is like for me, but now I have a lot more friends who are checking in to see what the journey is all about. Mostly I want to give myself a way to remember. If I have learned anything over the last four years, it is that the journey is what matters most of all. Sure, I'm still just a girl with a dream and an incredible goal that I believe in, but the woman I have become in the last four years is so tied up in the journey I've been on. Luckily for me I have a lot of it documented here on the pages of my so-called fabulous life. (Lord knows I have an awful memory.)

So, here we are four years later. Thanks for coming along for the ride.

8 comments:

B said...

Praying for the best year ever!

pilight said...

Your story of not making the Olympics is more compelling than many of the stories of athletes who do.

Leroy Jackson Smith said...

Thank God you learned in the last 4 years how to write a complete sentence! #PainfulToRead LOL

Daniel said...

Ms. Glenn,
4 years?! Has it been that long already? Wow, now you just makin’ me feel Old. 4 more years gone in my hourglass …

Let’s hope for a different ending to your journey for the year this time. And I don’t mean the “pregger’s” comment either! (Though a wedding announcement might please Mom)

Oh, and from your last blog – nice to see you make your bed.

(And from the MyFace sidebar – get the oven/stove fixed. Really Ms. Glenn, we know you can do better, lol)

jasmine* said...

I love you...can't wait for what's in store this year!!! MWAH!

Wayne said...

Thank you for allowing your fans to "live the fabulous life" with you! This is your year!

Anonymous said...

Sorry, very highly overrated. Keep dreaming but you've got to be realistic. Time to move on.

Allen W said...

I will keep this short and to the point. Good Luck and Take Care.