Friday, May 9, 2008

It could be worse...maybe

"What I would recommend is for me to get in there, remove the floating piece of cartilage, and then try and repair the defect cartilage by poking holes in the bone and letting scar tissue form. This will probably put you out for about 6 to 8 weeks. ...What do you have coming up?"

I shook my head in the negative, unable to actually utter words. I know this doctor knows who I am and what I do, so 'what I have coming up' is probably about the most ridiculous question someone could ask me. I motioned for my friend and my coach to speak for me, because the enormous lump in my throat was not budging. Nikkie quickly pointed out that the Olympic Trials were at the end of June, a mere 7 WEEKS away. Perhaps now you can see why 6 to 8 weeks does not work in any shape or form. My coach quickly asked for another option. And I knew in my heart that there had to be another option. Because I know I’m not done. This can’t be it for me, and without the opportunity to go to the Trials, that’s essentially what I’m being told. So I waited to hear something more. And what he had to offer was doing the scope of my knee to remove the floating piece and merely smoothing the edges out of the defect part. This will only be possible if he gets in there and sees that the damaged area is not much larger than 5mm, as it seems in the picture. Any bigger would pose a problem. This, he said, would only put me out for 2 to 4 weeks. Not great, but not the end of the world.

So now I’m just going to seek out another opinion or two and hope for my insurance to kick in so I can take care of this as soon as possible. I know it could have been worse, and so I’m thankful that I’m at least left with some hope. I have so little time left that I feel as if every second counts and I don’t want to waste any of them if I don’t have to. I’ve been sitting out two weeks already so I know that getting prepared for the end of June will be a challenge. But I’m not scared of challenges, I only want the opportunity.

EDIT: I just want to thank whoever sent me flowers and chocolates this morning...not only for thinking of me and doing something so unbelievably sweet, but for being thoughtful enough to include CHOCOLATE! You must know me so well! And even though you didn't include your name so I could thank you personally, I hope that you read my blog so you realize how much I appreciated the kind gesture.

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

You are in my thoughts and prayers and everything will work itself out.

t.v. said...

Some believe that we shouldn't ask God why me or why this? But I believe we should. We should challenge God to reveal to us why certain things happen at certain times in our lives. And right now I'm asking Him why you? Why you?

I believe in miracles and the phase that comes to mind right now is "Much prayer much power, little prayer little power".

At least you have an idea of what is "broken", and things that are "broken" can be fixed. If not by man, by God. :)

It's amazing how all your family, friends and blog readers around the world are coming together to pray for you. This in itself is a testimony.

Anonymous said...

Just like you never lost to a Bruin...you are not going to lose to this. I believe that you will have the opportunity at Trials. Every challenge, problem, obstacle, in life is an opportunity. Even though it may not seem like it, this is an opportunity to overcome, an opportunity to grow and heal physically as well as mentally to be ready for Trials.

Through your faith and hope, you will be healthy, training and ready for the end of June. I’ll be waiting for your victory post in your blog.

Anonymous said...

I'm sure it's comforting to know that all this pain and misery you've been through has a "name".

Now go ahead and sing this song: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=te1vRbNBQRs

Liz Dwyer said...

I'm saying a prayer for you and I hope the second opinions work out. I know you have worked so hard for this so I can't even imagine what you are going through.

Anonymous said...

God works all things out for good Brianna. Be strong and have faith that things will work out. What is impossible for US is SOOOOO possible with GOD!! :D

*xoxo*

Katie said...

I had the exact same injury two years ago. The doctor had to scope my knee and take a quarter size piece of cartilage off the back of my patella and then scraped part of the bone to let it heal. And I was biking the next day. I know not everyone is the same, but it was easier for me to sprint after than to run any type of distance. Remember everything happens for a reason and God wouldn't put you in a situation you can't get out of. I'll keep you in my prayers I know you can get through this.

David Oliver said...

Thanks Bri, in turn, I pray that everything will be okay on your end.

Brianna said...

a huge SINCERE thank you to all of you for your uplifting thoughts and your continuous prayers. it really does help so much.

Anonymous said...

Not to take away from the topic at hand, I've spoken to you already and you know you're always in my thoughts...and even if GOD hasn't heard me in a while, maybe he'll hear me now...
but aren't you a little worried that randoms are sending you stuff to your house? I mean, everyone seems nice and sweet, but they could be stalkers in disguise!!! I know, I watch too many horror movies, but still. You're the only Sis I got, just want to make sure you're safe. Maybe hire some security to stand outside your door. Yeah, that will make me feel better! Get on that right away!

Brianna said...

I figured out who it was Brit...not a stranger. I don't know why they didn't put their name or anything. I'm safe for now.