Saturday, June 27, 2009

"Jesus Christ Would've Thought"

If you happen to follow me on twitter or facebook, you know that the title of this blog comes from a response I heard while watching the track meet on T.V. yesterday. The third place finisher in the Men’s 100 meter race was overcome with joy and happiness after making his first World Championship Team. And when the ever so cynical commentator, Dwight Stones, asks this guy in the most incredulous voice one could imagine, “Who would have ever thought that YOU would make the World Championship team?” Rae Edwards responded in the most sincere and straightforward way he could think of… “I would’ve thought, and Jesus Christ would’ve thought.

To fully appreciate this comment you’d have to know Rae Edwards firsthand. Since most of you probably don’t, all I can tell you is that it was not said in the same way that one might hear a Grammy winner start off their prepared speech with, ”first and foremost, I’d like to thank God…. It was so candid and honest that it made me laugh and tear up at the same time. Like so many of us, he came into this meet not the odds on favorite to make the team, without the belief of peers and those ‘in the know” that he could actually do it, and the added weight of years and years of falling just a little short of your ultimate goal. But when it came down to it, he still believed in himself and he still believed that Phil 4:13 applied to him. I can do all things through Christ that strengthens me. (I don’t even know if he knows that verse, but I am sure he believes in its sentiments).

Like I’ve said before, I am going out on that field tomorrow to do my absolute best and embrace the opportunity in front of me. I don’t need to be the favorite, I don’t need to convince anybody that I should be wearing a swoosh, I don’t need T.V. time, I don’t need to care about who is capable of jumping what or worry about what they’ve jumped before. I just need to know that above anything else, if I believe in myself then I have two people in my corner, and at the end of the day that’s all you really need.

18 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great Blog Post. You go and do your thing!

:D

Roxie said...

Best of luck to you! I will pray in hopes that not only you do your very best, but that you're proud of yourself in the very end!

Cormac said...

That was a very enjoyable and inspiring blog.

You've highlighted a very important point; sometimes we spend so much time caring what others think (which is a nice trait in itself) that we lose faith in our own abilities if they don't believe in us.

These last few lines are nearly poetic, and I suggest writing them down and reading them before each competition!

"I don’t need to be the favorite, I don’t need to convince anybody that I should be wearing a swoosh, I don’t need T.V. time, I don’t need to care about who is capable of jumping what or worry about what they’ve jumped before. I just need to know that above anything else, if I believe in myself then I have two people in my corner, and at the end of the day that’s all you really need."

Nikkie T said...

Bri, I'm so excited for Rae, I don't know him but tell him congrats from Okinawa- that's awesome!
Also I'm SO excited for tomorrow. I may miss your call tonight cause it's Sunday morning here and I'll be in church from ~ 6:30-9:30pm your time. But just wanted to tell you that I love you and miss you and if I don't talk to you- Good luck!!!

ps- don't post this on your blog, it's just for you.

#2 Fan said...

I really like this story. With all that's happening in the world today, people shouldn't waste a second of their valuable time on Earth, worrying about cynics or the odds...Our energy should be spent solely on producing more positivity independent of the "arena."

Run your race girl, and Congrats to Mr.Rae Edwards!

brit brat said...

3 people in your corner!!! because you, baby jesus, and I make 3!!!
love you!

t.v. said...

I've said it before and I'm saying it again...

...I believe in your ability to win and be no. 1. You're a very talented and focused athlete.

"so take off, soar far and high, and then land safe" ;)

Anonymous said...

Here is my crazy 2 cents--the reality of God & as your wicked hot "thick legs" sister calls him "baby jesus" is that God/Jesus is in you-has always been and always will be! The second coming of Jesus is not true--Jesus wants us to realize that his divinity lies in each and all of us--and as we look deeper within the manisfistation of his greatness makes us great--its dark before light--accept that this is your moment to shine!
joep/vegas-dc

Bianca said...

This has got to be my favorite post.

I totally believe in you... and so does Jesus. Whatever the outcome.

Marcus, Sierra, and Charlie said...

Good luck Bri. We love you lady.

Jon Lustig said...

These are things I kno:
I know the thing you must have the most faith in tomorrow, more than anything, is yourself.
I know that what ever happens tomorrow, or any day after, the only way we would not be proud of you is if we ever read the words "I could have done more," if we thought that you had left an oz of yourself at that starting line.
I know that for you, there is only one person who matters tomorrow. She is the only one who truly knows what you are capable of, and only she can stop you from achieving it.
I know that I want this for you more than I could want anything, and that I am not alone in this.
And I know that whatever happened last week or last month or last year, tomorrow is yours for the taking.

Godspeed, good luck, and have a little fun out there.

TrackFanJamie said...

You don't understand. I am listening from Ireland, and after 3 rounds....I hear you are in fifth (I don't even undestand this whole feet and inches thing). I get a converter out to see that you need a huge PB to make the team...and then....suddenly 22 4 and 1/2 and you're in second. One round left. God is good, you are going to do it. You deserve it......

Cormac said...

Congratulations Brianna. You've reaped the benefits of your perseverance these last few years.

jumperkerry said...

Brianna
had you know what was gonna happen today this would have been an outstanding article it was set up so well. However you didn't truely know the events nor the drama that would unfold today therefore this article has legendary status in relations to you and what you endured through your career. I think that for those of us that have rooted for you, cheered for you, and for some even fawned over you today is our victory as well. I tried in vane to get updates through out the competition but i was unable. Finally track and field new's put the final up. For me it wasn't only making the team it was the fact that you had to reach down at some point late in the competion and DO SOMETHING, and you deliverd. I don't know you personally but i've followed you and it gives me great pleasure in rooting for someone that puts there fate in god's hands,love's there family and embraces each and every oppurtunity like it was there last. Good luck in berlin and as that unamed shoe company would have said "JUST DID IT"!

Jasmine said...

YOU SEE?!?! God is SO GOOD!!! You made the team...and it's only up from here!! :)

Daniel said...

Ms. Glenn,
I know this doesn't have a dang thing to do with this post. But I just got to tell you ...
WAY TO GO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
2nd Place, a HUGE Flight and Goin' To BERLIN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Paid!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I am so happy for YOU. To see all the effort rewarded.

You Rock.

melanie said...

hmmm...good one. i gotta meet that guy.

well i'm glad you don't need tv time, cuz you got ZERO. so in light of that fact, PLEASE POST PICTURES OF THE OUTFIT IN ACTION!

i'm so proud of you, breezie. can't wait til berlin ;o)

Nattles said...

Wow. That might be my favorite blog ever. I know you don't need the TV time, but I selfishly hope you get it so we can cheer you on from our living room :) Congrats on your philosophical and World Champ team milestones!! Yaaaaaaaaay!!!