Saturday, March 7, 2009

one word

I suppose I’ve put it off long enough. It’s a little difficult to inform the world that you are traveling halfway around the world for a track meet and then never mention how it turned out. People want to hold you accountable for some odd reason. By now, people that know me realize that if they don’t hear anything, things didn’t go so well. Not that it means I’m completely off the hook, because they still get around to asking, but the smart ones know that after they receive the one-word answer, it’s better to leave it alone.

So here’s my one word…

BAD.

And if you really want to get complicated, you could say really bad. I could just leave it at that, and I wish I could, but it makes for a pretty short entry. I am not happy about it and I don’t really understand it, but it is what it is. The thing about track and field is that it’s totally objective. The numbers don’t lie. My numbers made me feel like I was back in high school. And yes, there were strong headwinds and cold weather conditions, but I wasn’t even competitive how I should have been. And not being competitive cost me thousands of dollars, another low blow if you ask me. I even ran another race I wasn’t planning on running just to try and reimburse myself after being robbed. Of course it’s not totally about the money, and it’s not even about poor performances in February and early March. I can get past that and I know I’m motivated to work that much harder in the upcoming months.

At the end of the day I am still glad I went on the trip. I spent 2 weeks in a fabulous country and I am grateful for that opportunity. I also am extremely happy with my progress in the long jump, although it did not show in the results. I fouled most of my jumps but I was nevertheless jumping far. That is the one time when perhaps the numbers did lie…just a little bit.

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

well i wish you a better rest of the season. your upper torso position in the air seems to be fighting against your center of gravity (lower torso)i.e; hips, from moving forward. is this a common thing with long jumpers? Carl lewis mike powell and jackie joyner always had there upper torso in line with there hips moving forward-mike powell use to lean back but it wasn't until he learned the hitch kick and correcting his upper torso that he broke the world record. remember where ever your head goes so does the body. i coached 3 girls who went 19plus in high school. good luck!

Anonymous said...

I know with your personality the mishaps at this meet will give you the motivational push you need. Glad your outlook is still positive. hope we get to see you soon!

Jasmine said...

Leave it to me to comment about the photo....freaking LOVE it. Let's update your website! ;)

Anonymous said...

Leave it to me to be optimistic, but I think you should note that you placed in your events (2nd and 3rd). Ok, so it wasn't your best perfomance, but you've done way worse.

Either way, I'm proud of you. I can't wait to see how you do in season!

AZ here we come!

Anonymous said...

WAIT!!!! I just re-read my last comment and it was SUPPOSE to say: "You could've done way worse."

Please don't publish my comments! I suck.

Anonymous said...

"You've done WAY worse".

Ms. Glenn,
I’m cueing up the appropriate theme song right now … hold on a sec … here it is…
George Thorogood … I’m “Bad to the Bone”

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_7VsoxT_FUY


Ms. Glenn, isn't this exactly what the early season is about?
You’ll get it figured out.

Brianna said...

the photo shown is for artistic purposes only. that's not the correct position and i'm not known for having great technique...although it is getting better. i jumped 19ft in high school looking waaaay worse than this!

E.M.H. said...

I'm sure your jumps will get better as the season progresses. You did have surgery and switch your jump off leg, some people would have given up but you didn't!!!! Nice pic......

Anonymous said...

thats unbelievable 19 feet with bad form. You truly are a gifted athlete. i hope that my critique wasn't offensive. i just want to help. ive read your blogs from time to time. I also watch alot of performance videos & thought JJK's jumping technique is the best an american woman has ever had. However i thing more time and your sheer raw great ability will get you to where you want to be. What do you think about all the new changes from the new ceo from usatf? regards

Anonymous said...

did i say NOT to post my comments?! now people are going to think i'm mean :(

Dear Internet:

I love Brianna Glenn more than Pinkberry. And that's a lot!

The end.

Anonymous said...

Look at that gut! Are you pregnant?

Medo