Monday, March 30, 2009

Disaster has Struck

This is bad. Really, really bad.

I am finding myself on the brink of what could be the most catastrophic thing that has ever happened to me in my 28 years of living. This past weekend, both my blackberry AND my laptop have gone bonkers. They simply decided that they no longer wanted to work properly. This, my friends, spells disaster. I’m the type of person who, when asked what three things they would bring with them if they were stranded on a deserted island, would name my laptop, my blackberry, and my bible. And in all actuality I would probably think to myself that it’s possible to read the bible online off my laptop, so maybe a John Grisham book instead. But the laptop and blackberry…there are no substitutes.

Yesterday I spent the better part of two hours on the phone with the folks at T-mobile trying to figure out the Blackberry problems. On Saturday night it had shut off completely…no warnings, no smoke signals, nothing. By Sunday afternoon it was on, but it no longer wanted to be a Blackberry. Now it’s just your regular, run of the mill phone. The kind you get for free when you sign up for phone service basically. As of yet, the smart, educated, extremely helpful teenagers at the help center have not been able to offer me any solutions and I am at wits end. Or at least I thought I was…until last night. I mean, it’s a real bummer that I can’t use my phone to read emails or check Facebook status’s at every minute of every day, but if I really had to rough it, I can at least still get on my laptop and be ok. But God is playing an evil trick on me. My laptop went dead on me the same way my Blackberry did. And that is without a doubt the straw that broke the camel’s back. I went to bed last night and I prayed. I prayed for a miracle and for the computer Gods (by way of the real God) to bless me in some way so that I would wake up and magically everything would be normal again. When I woke up all I was granted was a blurry screen with a computer that has no ability to charge. It seems as if my prayers went through as a whimper.

So today I will be back on the phone with tech support for the Blackberry and scheduling an appointment at the Genius bar. I don’t know yet what I will do if I’m forced to replace these things. I suppose I’ll sell a kidney or something. You think I’m kidding…I’m not.

15 comments:

brit brat said...

you could always just call me, give me your passwords, and I can read you all your emails and status updates!
I charge a small fee tho :)

Love from Israel said...

Ugh. I FEEL YOUR PAIN!

I'm so sorry. Listen, go buy the charger. Today. It's my pre-birthday present to you. Just take it. Don't irritate me or make up stupid excuses.

In the famous words of Nike, Just Do It!

E.M.H. said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
E.M.H. said...

Hopefully you can get them both fixed without spending a lot of money. A day without my blackberry and computer would be torture....I'd live but it would definitely suck........I keep trying to remember what I did and what life was like before I had all these gadgets and applications that I so love.

Anonymous said...

This just means one thing. You are living a great life if this is the most catastrophic thing that's ever happened to you.

Daniel said...

Ms. Glenn,
If you take Brit_Brat's advice, please, just don't let her read our personal e-mails, OK?

D.P. said...

Were they plugged in at night before they went bonkers? Could have been a power surge. Good luck getting your communication game back.

Ehav Ever said...

I know how you feel on this one. A few months ago my laptop just shut itself down wouldn't come back. Before that thought the screen went out. The day that it went out I was in a state of shock since so much of my life was on my laptop. I felt like I had just gone blind. I ended up getting a new computer, but I still have to find a way to transfer everything from the old hard drive.

Good luck on getting things back on track.

Brianna said...

UPDATE:

so i made a visit to the genius people and while they didn't seem to be so bright this time around, they do believe that the computer can be fixed with some new parts. they don't know exactly why it happened but there is hope at the end of the tunnel. and the even better news is that my computer is still under warranty so if these parts fix it then i'm all good!

as for the phone...no real luck. still not getting emails, etc. and i can't talk on it or the battery will run out in like 5 min. all day long it just gives me this hourglass and quite frankly i'm tired of looking at it. i suppose if i sign over my firstborn child (aka extending my contract for another 20 years) then i could afford to get a new phone that way. otherwise, the kidney is still an option.

Anonymous said...

I don't even wanna imagine your pain right now. I don't know what I'd do without my computer or my iPhone. Hopefully everything works out for you and not hurt u financially.
Chanel

Christy said...

Well there must be something in the air. My laptop is LESS than 2 years old AND I barely use it. The reason being is that I have a PC at home and a PC at work - I mainly use my laptop when I need to work from home. So my laptop was perfectly fine the last time I used it, not one sign of a problem. Then Saturday I tried to work and it simply would not turn on. The little lights on the keyboard would light up for a few seconds, but then just turn off again. I have NO idea what's wrong and I don't really want to spend any money on the darn thing. :-(

Jasmine said...

Want the bomb squad to pitch in for an early bday gift? Let us know...we're the BEST ever! :)

Anonymous said...

I think a laptop, blackberry, and solar generator would have to be the items or else your laptop and blackberry would die real quick

Lance Berry said...

Just throw the crapberry in the trash and get a iphone! They are worth the purchase. Trust me! It's a computer and phone in one.

Marcus said...

Glad I ddn't get a Mac. Definately sounds like a power issue though.