Monday, March 23, 2009

An Abundance of Confidence

I happen to be a pretty confident person. I tiptoe up to the fine line of cockiness, teeter back and forth a little on the tips of my toes, but I never quite cross it. Of course this is just my opinion. ☺ I think it’s perfectly normal and acceptable to refer to my life, and myself in particular, as fabulous. This blog title didn’t emerge overnight folks, I have spent years using that adjective in reference to myself! I just think it suits me. Hopefully you agree, and if you don’t…well the good thing about people like me is that it’s hard to shake that confidence once it’s been established.

One area I have been working on improving my confidence in, is in track. It’s not that I’m not confident, because I am. But I could be better. People that are successful in this sport realize early on that so much of it has to do with how much you believe in yourself. I train hard and push myself constantly, but over the years I have had my confidence shaken a bit and I know that it’s still one of my weaknesses that I have to work on. I remember back in the day a time when my confidence was in line with my ability; a time when I was unstoppable not only because I was gifted and talented, but because I believed—without a shadow of a doubt—that I simply couldn’t be beaten. It was that simple. Perhaps it wasn’t logical to some or based on any factual evidence, but that didn’t matter. Once I believed it to be true I simply made it happen.

A friend of mine told me a few weeks ago that I needed to have the kind of confidence I do in my social life, transfer over to my athletic life. At first I looked at him a bit puzzled, wondering what exactly he meant by that. He explained that it’s very clear I think highly of myself. You believe you can get any man you want. I laughed and dismissed such an exaggeration. I mean, yes, I like to think I’m a pretty great gal and hopefully a large percentage of the opposite sex would agree, but I’m not over the top about it. Right? Right??! Or am I…

Fast forward to a couple days ago and I’m having a text message convo with my friend. She’s just met the friend of a guy she happens to be into and says they’re all having a great time and that his friend is great. I suggest she introduce him to our other single friend, being that she’s in need of a great guy in her life. (That’s the kind of person I am…always looking out for my friends.) She then texts, “HE’S HOT!!!!!!” In capitals…with that many exclamation points. This must mean that his attractiveness level is not up for debate; he’s certifiably cute. So, (and I know this might knock my wonderful friend status down a notch) I text back nevermind, introduce him to me instead! Her response: I don’t know, I think he’s into tall model types with blond hair. My eyebrows immediately shot up. I am already aware by a previous description that this guy isn’t my normal type, but being that he got a whole line of exclamation points I’m betting that he’s worth stepping outside of the box. And because I have decided this, it never crossed my mind to consider what his “type” might be. And so that’s what I told her. I didn’t ask what his type was. And she laughed. Because after 15 years of friendship, she knows me. She knows that once I have decided someone is worth taking a longer look at, I automatically assume that the interest will be reciprocated. Don’t get me wrong, I know that it can’t possibly always be the case, but the point is that I always assume it will be.

So as you can see, when it comes to social situations, my confidence is sky high and basically unshakeable. Not to say that there haven’t been attempts to knock it down a notch, but for the most part they have been unsuccessful. Even if this guy decided he really isn’t into normal sized, dark-skinned, buff chicks, I’ll still think that given some time I’d be able to change his mind… or maybe he’s just a few cards short of a full deck. ☺ And if I ever learn to transfer that confidence back over to the playing field, I have a feeling it’s going to take me to a whole other level.

13 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ms. Glenn,
I’m in a (small) quandary here. I’m not so sure to take this blog “straight up”. Know what I mean? Are you baiting your readers, maybe even a little bit?
Because (and Jon L. you’ll KNOW this) you left this one WFO …
(That’s WideFullOpen, for the motorcycle racing impaired)

Brianna said...

you can take it however you want. i can only put so many smiley faces and try to explain my personality and sarcastic habits to a point, and then you can do with it what you want.

Andre Rafik said...

dark skinned?

Anonymous said...

I definitely think you should have the same confidence in your professional life as you do in your personal life - especially given what you do. I think it can make a huge difference.

As for the guy, if he's a guy worth getting to know, he'll stray from his "type" (I'm so not a believer in having a type - not anymore, anyway). I can tell you from experience that it just might be the greatest thing ever.

The two major loves of my life have gone against "type" - as well as I'm the polar opposite of what my husband's "type" was. :-) And while I'm sure he'd love for me to have a body like yours and look more like J-Lo or Eva Mendes, alas I'm a FAR cry from any of you and yet we're madly in love.

Anonymous said...

hahaha
why do you sound like me right now?
I don't think the words "Do you think he'll like me?" have ever even crossed my lips. I'm aware of the fact that I'm not everyone's cup of tea, but the odds are in my favor.
but you my dear, are very cocky. teeter the line? girl you're so far passed the line you can't even see where it is anymore!!
if you lacked the confidence in yourself as an athlete you must hide it well because from an outsider you can't tell. perhaps it is just insecurities or doubt that takes place in your head. in my humble opinion your track abilities have always been something to toot your own horn about.


...but don't let that go to your head too or you might just float away!

Brianna said...

haha...gee, can you tell you're my sister?

Anonymous said...

Ms. Glenn,
Good answer. Point taken.
Thx.

brit brat said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
brit brat said...

wait...
:)

Anonymous said...

Brit_Brat!!!!
Is that YOU in that photo attached to your post? Awww, that's not even fair to do to old, ugly guys like myself ...

Brianna said...

haha...brit get your own blog if you want more attention. stop hogging mine. :)

i would just like to clarify that when i say that i don't have as much confidence on the track, it isn't that i'm trying to say that i lack confidence in my ability...that isn't it at all. i could not do what i do every day if i doubted that i could succeed at the highest level and be as good as i believe i am. i wholeheartedly believe that. i mostly downplayed it a little so that my comparison stood out.

ktizzle said...

I agree with your sister. I think you've taken several steps past cockiness and just draw a new line in front of yourself to help you believe you haven't already crossed over.

But honestly, once you get close to that line isn't it slightly or completely blurred altogether? it's all seems to be based on outside perception anyways.

it's not usually whether you think you're cocky cause who ever really admits to that anyways except for a total narcissist. but as a member of Kappa Alpha Psi you tend to get branded conceited if you have a slight bit of confidence.

anytime you have an abundance of self-confidence you are always going to be judged in either direction. you are always going to have your haters and those that tell you that you're full of yourself and you are going to have your friends there to support you and see the times when you are down and know there is more to you then what some outsiders may see.

with that said i am an outsider but i am also one that has an abundance of confidence so i can relate. so to say tiptoeing, i don't think so. you've stomped all over the line and left it in the dust like you do your competition. and i'm not saying that in a negative way.

keep doing you and i'm sure you'll be just fine.

Anonymous said...

i was touched for a moment when i thought you had my back...even if you did flip it and immediately make it about you again.

lol.

best friends forever.