Wednesday, March 25, 2009

Oddball

I love shopping at Target. The ability to go into a store and come out with 47 things you didn’t think you needed, but luckily had the wherewithal to spot as you meander up and down every aisle, is priceless. Target stops are not quick run-ins as they take time and patience to be able to fully give each section the proper attention. So, because I had a bit of time on my hands this afternoon, that is where I headed. I had already tried on a swimsuit that (luckily) didn’t look all that great, picked up a white tank top (because, really, who can have too many of those), and a package of socks, when I headed over to the toiletries section. As I stood there perusing the available shampoos and conditioners, trying to figure out if this was the week I was going to go for extra moisturizing, try to combat my frizziness, or spend the extra couple dollars and buy the salon quality stuff, , I had my spell broken by a gentleman standing next to me who also seemed to be trying to figure out the best hair care solution.

I see him out of my peripheral turning towards me. Can I ask you a question. I immediately assume he wants some help with picking out the best product to help curls stay bouncy and frizz free. Even though I didn’t bother to do my hair today, I’m sure it’s obvious that most of the time I know what I’m doing with this mop of mine. Sure, I say, flashing a friendly smile and what I hope comes off as a friendly attitude. Do you think it’s better to put cologne behind your ear or on your collarbone. Errr…Ughh…Hmmm…Ehhh. What??!! Ok, not the question I was expecting. But I try to keep my usually expressive face neutral and answer like it’s perfectly normal to ask such a question to a stranger in the middle of Target. I think behind the ear is best. Yea, I think I heard something like that before. Or whatever. I just am giving an answer for answers sake, really. Well what if your girlfriend likes to kiss you there? Seriously? Seriously! Well I guess she just gets a taste of your cologne in her mouth then. But I’m pretty sure that’s the best spot…something about body heat I believe. He stares at me for like a fraction of a second too long, just so it gets uncomfortable. Ok, thanks. And then he turns and goes back to looking at shampoos.

Am I the only one who finds that a bit odd?!

16 comments:

Dana said...

Yeah...very weird. :\

Anonymous said...

Yess, odd. But I think you should feel free to laugh at people when they "surprise" you, maybe would have made that whole exchange a little less uncomfortable if you had just bust out laughing like "WHAT????"

Jon Lustig said...

Seems quite odd to me. I've asked girl friends questions like that, but they were girls I knew already. Maybe you have the look about you of someone wise to everyday life things like that, who would generally give good advice I mean. And you were right, warmer spots (arteries in the neck, inside of the wrist) amplify the scent of cologne (or perfume) more than slightly cooler ones.

Anonymous said...

all I can say is "WOW"
Chanel

E.M.H. said...

Ummmmm. . . definitely odd :-/ But funny nonetheless....

Anonymous said...

neither behind the ear or collarbone. its better for men i think to use a favorite fragrant body wash. an finish up with the same fragrance lotion just a little though-thats my opinion and my metro-sexual moment. or tell your man friends to get a subscription to Esquire and Mens Health!-joe p. vegas/dc

t.v. said...

LOL.... I can tell you there are more metro-sexual men out there than we would like to believe. I love them! :)

They are even gearing special products and specific commercials towards them. (At least here in Europe)I can understand them wanting to look, feel and smell good. So why not get a woman's opinion.

So it doesn't seem odd to me, just funny that he dared to ask.

Anonymous said...

Ms. Glenn,
Not strange at all. Have used similar strategies myself. Now, I would have thought of a better question, probably something more directly related to the specific circumstances and items you two were looking at.
What you may have just experienced was a man very discreetly ‘checking the waters’. I have to do that. See, very unlike your expressions about confidence in your personal life/relationships, as a very bland (physically-looking) man, I’ve had my head (figuratively) handed to me many, many times in that initial, unknown first approach. (As a qualifier here, I’m not some indiscreet jerk doing the equivalent of TLC’s “Scrubs” – hangin’ out my window, hollerin’ ‘Hey Shorty how ‘bout givin’ me some’. Geez, I am an adult. I hope, lol). Getting shot down in flames (thx AC/DC) repeatedly does take some polish off the confidence. So, to avoid further public humiliation, you come at that first “meet” very obliquely, to check her attitude and disposition. It’s like trying to make eye contact, deciding in that instant, do you even bother. The prettier the woman, the greater the risk (for guys like me that is), the more likely she’s had this happen way too many times to enjoy it anymore (but not enough that it doesn’t float the ego still, telling her girlfriends later “You wouldn’t BELIEVE the UGLY dude that had the NERVE to try an’ talk to ME today at …”, lol). The more attractive, the greater chance of the disproportionate attitude. (I’m sure the same applies the other way around too, but I don’t really know; I don’t ask guys out).
In that moment you described as the slightly uncomfortable, straight-at-ya eye contact, he probably weighed up the possibility. Then made his decision.
Since you mentioned nothing about how “hot” he might have been, I’d conclude that didn’t enter into the picture at all.
Oh, and Ms. Glenn, this isn’t some sideways putdown. Just an honest explanation from a slightly ugly guy so often on the receiving end.
You have every right to make your own decisions in life about who you choose to interact with. Period.

Anonymous said...

Dear Blogging Queen,

Yes, that's weird. Don't be Mel and entertain strangers who ask you odd questions.

The end.

Anonymous said...

I'm with Bianca...I wouldn't have entertained his oddness. However, I'm glad you did for the sake of this story which made me literally laugh out loud! :-)

Brianna said...

I will say that normally I am quite adept and noticing when someone is feeling me out or trying to hit on me...and I would have said maybe until he did his strange turn away and went about his business like nothing. I didn't give him the brush off...plus he threw in the part of his girlfriend kissing him there! i think he honestly was just weird.

and i also think it was worth it for the sake of the blog! :)

sam said...

ok

brit brat said...

just stopping by to show my face
:)

Daniel said...

Brit_Brat,
Thanks.
Brightened my day, it did.

Love from Israel said...

Chuck roast,
Pot roast,
I want a blog post!

Your BFF

Love from Israel said...

BLOG! How am I suppose to know what's going on in your life?