Tuesday, June 17, 2008

touched.

A while back I received an email from a nice gentlemen out in Atlanta. He found his way to my blog and website after viewing my SI picture and proceeded to send some encouraging words my way. I love to hear from the different people around the country and even the world who have stumbled across my little space here on the web and find interest in my life and my journey.

He informed me that he was a teacher and had told his class all about me. These young kids (ages 5 – 8) were now my biggest fan club…how awesome is that! They’ve seen video of me run and are excited to see me make the Olympic Team and go to Beijing. They even remembered my birthday! Like any sports “superstar” they expected to see me on SportsCenter. Hopefully they weren’t holding their breath! Unfortunately they were unable to see me perform on any of the televised meets this year either but it warmed my heart to know they looked for me.

Anyway, today I received a package in the mail from the class that included a personalized card from each and every one of them, a picture of the class, and a check from a bake sale they had to help support me. For three weeks the class sold cheesecake, bagels, cinnamon rolls, and chicken biscuits. They did this for me. Even typing it now brings tears to my eyes. (It also makes my stomach growl because I’m sure it was all delicious!) Their homemade cards with the “WE BELIEVE!” themes and pictures of me running, jumping, and winning a gold medal are the most precious cards I’ve ever received.

I am so incredibly filled with gratitude and appreciation towards these kids and their teacher for thinking that I am worthy of their time and effort. I am honored. THANK YOU for helping me on this journey and for believing in me. I hope to come to Atlanta in the near future and thank you in person!

18 comments:

Anonymous said...

Just goes to show you that even children have a love and respect incredible athletes. Beyond that their efforts in supporting you are truly admirable; you just gotta love kids.

:::Marcus LANGFORD:::

anonymousnupe said...

Now that is what it's all about.

Dana said...

That is so amazingly sweet!! I love kids!! They are some of the most amazing human beings on the planet! Congrats on getting so much support from the little ones in ATL!! I'm sure it feels AWESOME!!

Anonymous said...

I read your blog all the time and as much as I know you like comments, I have never felt completely compelled to leave one until now. What that class/teacher has done is amazingly generous. We so often get wrapped up in our own lives that it is so refreshing to hear that there are people out there willing to be a part of something so much bigger than their own little bubble. Congrats on being such an inspiration, and who better to inspire, than the next generation.

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...

that is so awesome Bri!

White Flower said...

Bri, I'm tearing up right now. How sweet! Post a picture of the class so we can see them too : )

t.v. said...

Absolutely touching, incredibly sweet and rather generous of your little fans. smiling.
I guess part of your gold medal speech at the Olympics will be dedicated to them. ;)

This only confirms my belief that your blog is a blessing to your readers. It inspires the impossible.

anonymousnupe said...

You know, you can always turn on comment monitoring/approval so that inane comments (like those of a certain comment who shall remain anonymous) never see the light of day on your blog. But, then again, some of the stuff I submit might end up on the editing room floor too, huh?

Brianna said...

thanks everyone. i'm glad I was able to properly convey the "special-ness" of it. it truly did touch my heart.

i have been considering turning on my comment monitoring...although i hate for people having to wait until i make it to my computer and approve them in order for them to show up. what if i'm flying across the world or something? and i do believe that everyone is entitled to opinions...but i don't know if straight up ridiculousness counts.

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...

that is amazing...

anonymousnupe said...

Yep, that's definitely the trade off. Immediate v. delayed (but quality) gratification. I don't think he concerns your loyal 13 that much, except for your sister and close friends, I think. Seems like he gets under their skin, no offense ladies, even more than yours.

Anonymous said...

Kids always need role models and you are a great one to have!

Anonymous said...

Bri- easily one of the sweetest stories I've ever heard.

Anonymousnupe- No offense taken :)

Anonymous said...

First off, what a great teacher to point his children in the direction of something fine and good, to teach them to give, to be interested in what they can become with hard work. You've used a great talent (hmmm, maybe greater than running?) to actually make a difference, whether it be a smile or the encouragement to dream, whatever. To be able to ride along with you on your journey has been great, it touches emotions - in a good way, whether you are crying or laughing, scared or confident or just thinking out loud, we feel it too, and it's pretty cool to be connected that way. I hope you do get to see and thank those kids one day, not only did they warm your heart, they've warmed a whole lot of others here too and you can't get too much of that!

Jasmine said...

I'm CRYING!!!!

Anonymous said...

oh my...this is the sweetest thing