Monday, June 23, 2008

Totally Committed

I’ve had success throughout my life in many different areas. If someone came to me and asked me for some insight on things I consider myself to be an expert on, I’d gladly share with them my wealth of knowledge. Shopping when you don’t have a lot of money. Eating whatever you want and not really gaining any weight. Watching an insane amount of reality t.v. and not having your brain rot. Posing in a bikini when you have way too many muscles. Working out and not messing up your makeup whatsoever. Taking pictures of yourself and not cutting off the top of your head. These are my fields of expertise. As far as track and field is concerned, one of the reasons I like talking to younger kids in high school and college is I feel as if I am able to speak with authority on that part of a career and share what I believe will help them be most successful because I had a lot of success during those years and its always helpful to hear from someone who’s “been there” and can tell you all the ins and outs you may not know.

Well the other day I was having a conversation with a friend who also doubles as a sports psychologist and works with many Olympic level athletes. I asked him what he thinks the difference is between those that make it versus those that don’t. And the way he phrased it really struck a chord with me. He said that they are fully committed to doing whatever they have to do to succeed. It isn’t a matter of hoping to do well or trying to succeed, you just commit yourself completely to whatever it is you set your mind to do. For me, this highlights a very important way of approaching things. In your mind if you are motivated by an unwavering determination to accomplish something, it seems as if that is much stronger than merely trying or hoping for things to work out the way you want them to. The former gives no other possible outcome than the one you have determined while the latter is not so resolute.

So I think it’s time to be totally committed. I understand that as a mere mortal there are certain things I simply cannot guarantee, but what I can say with absolute certainty is that I am committed to competing to the best of my ability. I am not simply going to try and do my best, I am going to eliminate the “trying” and simply JUST DO IT. There is no reason to hope for something that I have full control over. Don’t get me wrong, you will never hear me say that everything that happens is totally under my control because I am still a firm believer that the outcome is my own will being lined up and in tune with the Big Man’s, but you have got to believe that your talents are there for a purpose and make sure you aren’t shortchanging yourself. (Philippians 1:6 … being confident of this, that he who began a good work in you will carry it on to completion until the day of Christ Jesus.)

At the end of the day, I know that if I perform in this manner, I will be content. Perhaps I’ve had commitment issues in the past, but next week I will be as devoted to this cause as is humanly possible.

P.S. Even though this is the 2nd post within 24 hours, please still continue to leave quotes and verses if you aren't reading as fast as I'm writing and missed the last post!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ms. Glenn,
I was kinda hoping to be the first to this one today:
"Do, or do Not. There is no Try."
Yoda - Empire Strikes Back

Daniel - "I watched that VHS 1,000 stinkin' times with the kids"

Anonymous said...

All joking aside (again) I'm wishing you good luck at the trials. I can tell you really want to be in Bejing so get out there and make it happen Bri.

Anonymous said...

Brianna,Since the very 1st day I saw you run on the LMHS track, I knew you were something special. I have watched you blossom into a beautiful woman and stellar athlete and wish you nothing but the best this coming week and hopefully, August :). Know my prayers have always been with you and my last girl's team. As I read your words, I pass on something I learned over the years....It is not our past (good,bad or indifferent) that create our future. Its the lessons learned and how we apply them, that makes the difference. Its not your accomplishments that make me proud of you, but to see YOU GET IT! You truly get it! All my love, hugs and thoughts,
Julia

Brianna said...

Julia! My first track coach ever...so glad to hear from you! Thanks for stopping by and for the wonderfully sincere words, I appreciate it so much!

White Flower said...

A prison of war was tortured for 12 years in a dark, dilapitated room. His torturers would come every day, three times a day and beat him ruthlessly. They desired to break his will, his hope, and his loyalty to his country.

After each of the beatings, he would return to his filthy cell and sing the following song:

"Jesus love me this I know, for the Bible tells me so. Little ones to Him belong, they are weak but He is strong. Yes, Jesus loves me. Yes, Jesus loves me. Yes, Jesus loves me, the Bible tells me so."

Upon returning the States, he shared that in his darkest moments, he knew God had a plan for his life and he was not forgotten. Bri, God has a plan for your life and you are not forgotten.

I can't wait to see you this weekend in Eugene. I love you more than Fiore handbag...