Monday, June 9, 2008

My Knee and its Progress

It has been a while since I have updated you all about my knee and how things are coming along. Actually I am only speaking to those of you who I don’t speak or write to, because everyone else seems to ask about 47 times a day. In fact, if I had a dollar for every time I heard the question “How’s your knee”, I wouldn’t need any help paying for my surgery! That must mean a lot of people care…or just have nothing else to talk to me about. Regardless it makes me all warm and fuzzy inside to feel as if I have so many people in my corner rooting for me and wishing me the best. I appreciate all the thoughts and prayers—both the ones that I know about and the ones out there in cyberspace.

Well, on to my update…

This past week I have been back to regular training and at the end of the week I even did full approach pop ups. (Technical talk for doing take-offs in the long jump without landing). I am ecstatic because I’m still fast. Granted, I am not as fast as I believe I would have been without the setback, but I am definitely fast and this is one of my advantages to already being one of the fastest jumpers in the world (in my humble opinion). It was a bit nerve racking putting back on my spikes without knowing what to expect from my body. I did not step on a track surface for a month’s time and then I did a somewhat abbreviated and accelerated rehab program so that I could get back to doing what I need to do. Needless to say, this caused some achy joints and bones. I am not the spring chicken I once was!

As important as balancing on one leg and stepping down from a 1 ft. box is, I could not wait to start to be able to feel as if I was really preparing for my task in 3 weeks. Here is the thing about this whole process – it can be truly overwhelming if you let it. I have taken things one step at a time because that is the only way to feel as if it’s manageable. If I could only lie on my couch and squeeze my quad 25 times every hour, I made sure I stayed on top of it. Once I was able to jog in the water, I tried to be the best water jogger I could. (No easy feat as I am no fan of things done in the water.) When I was able to get on land and do things that were not too much impact, I put all my energy towards that. I could not focus on what I could not do, only on what I could. It was hard. I’m not going to lie. But for the most part I was proud of myself for staying in the moment and staying positive and continuing to believe that I would be ok.

Last Friday, when I finally got on the runway and ran my approach, timed my last 10 meters, and took off from that speed, I was able to let out a huge sigh of relief. It will probably still take a little time for my timing to get back on and for the distance to be worth anything, but that is not cause for worry right now. In fact, I prevented myself from even measuring them because I just wanted to feel happy with my incredible progress. The speed that I am running at is enough for me to jump far and that is a huge piece of my puzzle. I make no qualms about the fact that I am a ‘speed’ jumper, meaning that my ability to jump far is in direct correlation to the speed I’m able to generate on the runway. A technique jumper I am not. So it is a cause for celebration that I am feeling so close to my old self at this stage of the game.

My knee feels a little stiff and weird but the main thing is that it feels strong and it’s not swelling up by anything that I have done thus far. It is a precocious balance at this stage of the game because right now is not the time to really work hard and do tons of things to help me get stronger and faster. I know I am behind in terms of where I would want to be in a perfect world, especially in terms of having competitions under my belt, but on the bright side I certainly haven’t over-competed! Right now all athletes are in their tapering stages and are allowing their bodies to be rested in order to feel their best and peak for the Trials. There is so much work that I want to be able to do but obviously there is not time for that. I basically have to trust what I have and use these next few weeks to fine-tune it. I feel incredibly blessed to be healthy in mind, body, and spirit and I really don’t think I could ask for anything more.

22 comments:

Jasmine said...

If what you said is true about the whole dollar thing, I prolly owe you $2,875,937.87 Just goes to show how much I care! :)

eclectik said...

No Swelling is big...progress is the greatest.

You will be just fine...I know it.

heart.

e.

anonymousnupe said...

"...lie on my couch and squeeze my quad 25 times..."

All I can say to that is, YEAH, BABY! (LoL.)

But seriously, this time sure has flown by, at least for those of us on the periphery looking in. Seems like it was just last week when you were kinda down in the dumps and had just received the disheartening prognosis. I guess for us this is unfolding as if we're reading your real-time biography, and here we are just six pages later and another chapter has already begun. That's a good thing. You musta touched the hem of His garment or somethin'.

Now you wouldn't happen to have video (or pics) of the quad-squeezing technique, would you? You know, in case any of your loyal 13 readers want to add it to our own routines? Yeah, that's it.

Unknown said...

I’ve never asked how the knee was doing; I was more concerned with your spirits. It’s great to hear you up and positive again. You have so many behind you even if we only exist in cyberspace, but we are there. We have faith, faith in you!

Jackie E. said...

Hey Bri...so glad to hear that you're back on the runway! The one thing you need, you have, as you said, your speed. So everything and anything is possible from here on in. Kudos to you on staying positive and working through the hard days. It's onwards and upwards from here....

Anonymous said...

My first thoughts when I read this blog was, "Jasmine must have been blowin' up the RED PHONE to God!" haha
very glad to hear your knee is doing well and that you, yourself are even better. Love you and glad you're coming down this weekend.

White Flower said...

@ anon: I've been wondering for some time now and I even asked Bri if I could ask you, so here it goes:

(please take this the right way) Who are you?

I love your comments and positive encouragement, so inquiring minds want to know... are you ever going to let the world know who you are?

anonymousnupe said...

LOL!!! Bianca, you axed me that months ago! Don't you recall? Do you remember my reply? I attempted to go to your blog to contact you directly with more info, but I am not on your invitee list.

LOL again at you getting permission from Bri to ask me! And how could I take your question the wrong way?

And no, I never plan to reveal myself world wide, but anyone can e-mail me at anonymousnupe@gmail.com and I'll tell you whatever you want to know.

So you don't recall posing that question before? It was in conjunction with Bri's birfday celebration entry.

Anonymous said...

all my usual, ill-tasted joking about your spending, buffets, and your feet aside, i'm glad that your knee is feeling good. i was concerned that you'd be fighting a psychological battle with that knee once you became full-weight bearing again. now that you've started with full training keep that knee out of your head as you get back to training. forget about that knee -have a good week at practice.

t.v. said...

Thinking... I thought Bianca was the one who usually blows up the RED PHONE to God. I guess all of your best friends are prayers warriors Bri. :)

Off subject.. How do you tell them apart? the twins that is. Ok, I know I'm being "newsy" as we would say in the Caribbean. But, hey I have to behave "out of character" whenever I comment. LOL.

Brianna said...

Thanks everybody!

@nupe...I'm thinking there is some connotation there that I am missing. but perhaps it's better that way...

@bianca...can we please stay on topic here! this is about ME! :) oh, and most of his comments are positive and encouraging...not all. :(

@anonymous...thank you? nice to know i can at least bunch a few of those comments together and tag them to one person.

@t.v....both jasmine and bianca have red phones. it's one more characteristic they share as twins. they aren't identical...in fact to me they don't even look alike really but that's what happens after you know someone 14 years.

anonymousnupe said...

LOL, B!! But wouldn't it be so boring and redundant (and so not "keepin' it real") if everything everybody said all the time was all cloying and saccharine? Every good drama needs some, well, drama, right?

Bianca, hit me up when Bri's not lookin'.

Brianna said...

courtesy of dictionary.com...

CLOYING-overly ingratiating or sentimental.
(and saccharine means basically the same thing in case you were wondering)

Anonymous said...

Uh...why did everyone get a comment back but me? Do my posts mean nothing unless you catch yourself giggling at them? GEESH!

Brianna said...

MY BAD! you throw me off with the nice sister act. LOVE YOU.

ktizzle said...

@ brit. don't feel too bad bri left out e., jackie and zzz.

besides i'm still waiting for a reply to a post i lift to her "Purse or Jeans" entry. =]

bri. glad to hear that you're back to impact drills.

ktizzle said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

Very exciting stuff Bri!!! See you Saturday :).

dejanae said...

and u said it all in those last two lines
good luck with the progress

Jameil said...

may you have only the best!!

Anonymous said...

Ms. Glenn,
This is meant to be kinda funny, so please take it that way, OK?

The “Progress” blog had me staring at the “Between Us - A letter from the Editor” of the newest Essence mag (July ’08), “Finding Joy in the Moment” sitting wide open on my desk as I read yours. I’m not implying plagiarism or anything ugly, just that the two sentiments hit me at the same time. Thanks, I needed that!
Daniel
PS: Uh, why am I reading an Essence mag? And if I told you I’ve been re-newing the subscription since the original subscriber left…?

Anonymous said...

Man, reading this made me feel a little nervous inside, like I'm 'bout to compete or somethin'. Crazy.

Marcus U