Monday, January 31, 2011

It Counts...

After this weekends competition, from what I have seen so far it looks like I just may have a world leading mark in the Long Jump at 6.74 meters. I'll take it. Whether or not I deserve it is questionable, however.

After Friday's competition I posted on twitter and facebook that I had jumped 6.61 and was pretty satisfied with the outcome of my first meet. I had a few missteps and it was a little shaky at times, but all that is to be expected at your first competition. The next morning though, I received a few messages asking why I had said I jumped 6.61 when the results said I jumped 6.74. Why in the world would I sell myself short like that?

Well, the truth of the matter is, I did jump 6.74. The other truth of the matter is it may or may not have been a foul. When I think back on it now, all the events seem a little hazy... Was it a red flag or a white one?...Did the judge yell fair or foul?? Who can really be sure what really happened?! Competing at altitude with a 5 hour energy and a few cups of coffee in your system is enough to make anyone a little dazed and confused. I'm going to go ahead and take the blame for being mistaken on this one, and accept my position at the top of the leader board like the gracious competitor that I am.

Whatever the case, I am satisfied with the start of my 2011 season. I am in a good place for this time of year and I also am very aware of the things I need to continue to work on and improve so that the big jumps will be there come summertime. Being able to jump over 6.70 at the beginning of the season, whether fair, foul, or flip a coin, is a very good sign of things to come.

9 comments:

Anonymous2 said...

Well I'll just go with the official results. No fouls for your first series of the season. Something is working right. Also if it was a foul they wouldn't measure it would they, and they sure wouldn't record the distance. Great start.

Anonymous2 said...

Suggestion: Post video of at least 1 jump from every meet you compete in. What is that about 8-10 second clip. Self promotion.

jasmine* said...

TAKE IT...OWN IT!!!
xxoxo

Bianca said...

WHOA! Good job, Breezy. I'm so happy for you!!! Thank God you blog... I wouldn't have known about this :)

Craig said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Daniel said...

Ms. Glenn,
If the officials say it counts ...
It counts.
Nice jump.

Anonymous said...

Sell that Brianna Glenn! The story goes the way you reported as a LAPD Officer understands the facts cannot be disputed unless a rogue video turns up.

Anonymous2 said...

World leader for a day :-). It was at altitude, so what it still counts.

Kooper Mitchell Fredington said...

I'm still willing to sponsor you. But you have to jump naked! Oh ok, socks and shoes ok, but that's it!