Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Flying to Russia

Day 17

Something very horrible happened in Russia yesterday. A suicide bomber detonated a bomb at the airport that killed over 30 people and severely injured over 100 more. It was sad, senseless, and tragic. Sometimes things happen in other parts of the world that seem to not totally affect us because we are so far removed from it. But the fact of the matter is, I happen to be flying to that exact airport next week. So, when I heard about the story, it kind of hit a little more close to home.

Truth be told, I'm not nervous to fly to Russia. When something like this happens, the area becomes more secure and safe than it ever was. I remember flying the first day flights were able to resume after 9/11 and not only did I virtually have the whole plane to myself, the airport security was at such a high level, I felt like I was about to board Air Force 1. You couldn't even travel with your purse, let alone a ziplock baggy of small toiletries.

So please pray that the proverbial lightning doesn't strike twice in the same place. But also pray for all those who lost just lost their life to a senseless act of violence. And that I find someone to let me borrow a jacket that can handle a Russian winter.


To read about what happened, click here

3 comments:

Daniel said...

Ms. Glenn,
It is a probable meaningless platitude to say “Be Safe!”, because there really isn’t much we can do about ending up being involved in such horrific situations, beyond hiding under our beds and refusing to be out in the world.
Yet, I still say it “Be safe Ms. Glenn”.

Beyond that, these kinds of events ought to scare the willy’s out of anyone with a basic working knowledge of what led to and then the aftershocks of the assassination of Archduke Franz Ferdinand in 1914. One day somebody is going to achieve the goal of killing some high-level folks in a major world-player type country and we will be well and truly going down a road nobody wants.

brit brat said...

my prayers are with you sis

Alex said...

I still can't believe what happened in Russia, and how such horrible things can happen to such undeserving people, I can't even imagine what the family and friends of those who were affected must be feeling but my thoughts go out to them. Good luck with your flight, although as you said I'm sure it will be safer to fly than ever.