Monday, January 10, 2011

My Last Set of Goals

Day 6

It doesn't seem like too many people are interested in my goal setting, but that's ok. I guess that's why they're mine in the first place. :)

My last category of goals deals with how I can do better with the people in my life. When my best friend first asked me what kind of relationship-related goals I wanted to make for 2011, I quickly responded FIND A HUSBAND! And as much as I was kidding...I wasn't totally kidding. She reminded me that I don't really have any control over that, that it's all in God's perfect timing and blah, blah, blah. And I get it, really I do. So we decided on a compromise...

RELATIONSHIP GOALS

Ask God to continue to work on the woman that I am, so that someone will want to catch a grenade for me. (If you don't listen to Top 40, I can't help you with that one.) As fabulous as I am, I still have some serious flaws...and you think this is your chance to tell me how un-fabulous I am, you are totally missing the point. I am a total work in progress and I always will be. But the more time I take to figure out who I am and grow into the woman I want to be, the more likely I am to attract the kind of person I desire to be with. And that is something I have total control over.

Be nicer to people. This may seem like a "fluff" statement, but I assure you it's not. Generally speaking, I am a nice person...to people I know. But far too often I meet people and after they get to know me, they tell me that before they knew me they thought I was mean...or stuck up...or intimidating...basically, just not nice. I have no desire to be any of those things, but I also don't want people thinking that I might be. So I think what it boils down to is putting more effort in to how I come across to people.

Learn to love. This past year I read this book called "The Five Love Languages." I think I read it a tad too late to help with the current situation I was in, but it taught me a lot about how to love. Now I need to apply it. Sure, it was written for romantic relationships, but I think it works for all the relationships in your life. Then, once I do have a stable, committed romantic relationship in my life, I can put all my newfound knowledge to use. Then it's a done deal. I will be basically perfect at that point. :)








10 comments:

Bianca said...

Whoever gave you this advice is the smartest person in the whole world.

B

Dust said...

Interesting, I never really thought about single people having relationship goals. Your future husband will find you when you're ready. Hopefully he won't catch the grenade for you, he'll just push you out of the way. No sense in your future husband passing away before you get a chance to marry....Appearing to be mean or stuck up is not a bad thing, keeps all the buster's & timid guys away. You need a man that can handle your quirky sense of humor, & be understanding to your athletic mentality, yet strong enough to keep you in line & smart enough to keep you challenged.
Good Luck & keep us updated on your progress.

Daniel said...

Ms. Glenn,
I don’t think it’s so much a reflection of disinterest, as it is the fact they are Your goals. I don’t think it’s my Biz to challenge those things. On certain specifics we see things in life differently (such as spiritual views), so it’s not my place to comment on them.

I do like the general concepts though. It is appropriate that we always try on work on the only thing we really can affect in life, ourselves. I especially liked #3 today. Try this: learning to love when it is extremely difficult, when it seems it’s not being returned at the moment, when any personal “return” doesn’t seem so forthcoming. Real relationships that endure will involve that at times.

Now, on “Dust’s” comments about “keep you in line”. Who would want a life companion you’d have to worry about ‘keeping in line’? I did that once (for a long time). Believe me, you want none of that attitude. A permanent marriage thrives on Trust; and that Trust being rewarded.
You can’t keep anyone in line, no matter how “strong” they think they are. People do that for themselves, because they want to, for the right reasons. Anything else smacks of attempts at Relationship Control.

Jahoba Pitts Franklyn III said...

.....Part II From Above

Learning how to love? Look in the mirror. Then take what you see and that is what you need to feel for other people. You already know how to love, the problem is it is only for yourself.

It's not your fault though, so don't despair. You are surrounded with selfish people who sponge off of your accomplishments. Why do you let them be around you? Because you like smoke being blown up your yangerhanger.

I compare you to Lindsey Lohan in both of your quests to be a different person from who you are ~ you will have to leave behind those bad influences in your life that leach off of you.

You can lead a camel to water but you can't make it have the good sense to drink. I suspect your pretty thirsty by now. Just bend down and take a sip. Your standing in front of the oasis right now!

Awwww, but with all oasis's it isn't there. You will have to find it on your own.

Goodluck. Hope this helps.

p.s. You did ask for people's opinions, didn't you?

Anonymous said...

I live kinda far away, but I'm available in B-town. Holla atcha boy.

Daniel - Pullin' the Pin ... said...

“take a bullet straight through my brain …”

I just wish Bruno and that song would take the bullet.

Geez … that’s some (expletive deleted).

Dust said...

@Daniel, by keep in line, I was partly joking about keeping in line. I guess hold her accountable would be a better statement. It works both ways, so not really talking about controling one another.

Anonymous said...

What's God have to do with a husband. Has a man of faith the answer is not much. God does not say no when a good man requests a woman's time. Nor does God assume the quality of a man by narrow minded standards.

Just saying let's be real.

Jahoba Pitts Franklyn III said...

Censorship.....Uggh!

1 for 2! That's pretty good in Baseball. I'm a .500 hitter! Hall of Fame here I come :)!

Anonymous said...

Lots of good comments on here, taking notes; I learn something new everyday. Thanks guys. LOL