Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Introducing: Trey Hardee

He does a whole lot of things, and he does a lot of them well. That's pretty much what it takes to be a world-class Decathlete (and for this weekend, a Heptathlete). It takes a special kind of athlete to train and compete the way Trey does and that's why we all want to try and eat our Wheaties...so we can one day try and be just half the athlete they are. In the meantime, when you watch him compete, make sure you appreciate what he's doing to the fullest--and know that you couldn't do it. Well, I know I couldn't.



Nickname: Barry

Most Notable Performance: 2009 World Champion - Decathalon

Follow him on Twitter: @treyhardee



*Many people see the winner of the Decathlon the World’s Greatest Athlete. Is that how you see yourself?

Not at all. I see myself as an athlete, but that’s it. I just happen to do the decathlon.


*If you weren’t dedicating all your time to running, jumping, and throwing right now, what do you think you’d be doing?

Hmmm… right now?? I don’t know… Probably taking a nap.



*Most people are aware that you and the lovely Chelsea Johnson (pole vault) are an item. What’s the benefit of having someone in the sport as your significant other?


Besides us both being awesome? Haha… I think that we have an understanding of what it means to be an elite athlete. The personal sacrifices that it takes to get to, and stay on, this level do not go unnoticed or unappreciated by each other. Another benefit is that we both are so proud of one another… more proud than someone who doesn’t do this sport because we fully grasp what our accomplishments and sacrifices are really worth.



*With no major outdoor championships this year, how are you going to keep yourself busy? Will you compete in any particular individual events that you can be competitive in on a world level?

Hmmm… we’ll just have to wait and see. For right now, I’ve got the Indoor World Championships. I’d love to run hurdles or long jump a lot this summer.


*Being that you have a lot of equipment needed for 10 events, you’re forced to pack a lot of stuff when you travel. Any tips to getting out of paying baggage fees?

None whatsoever… it’s a cruel, cruel world.

*Has anyone ever told you that you look like the guy from Prison Break?

Oh yeah… the entire time I was in the village in Beijing! Apparently that show is big in China!
I’ve never seen it, but I’ve seen a picture of the guy… I can see how people think I look like him.




*Is it a dream of yours to be on a Wheaties Box?

Not necessarily a dream, but that’s what goes along with winning the Olympic decathlon, soooo… it’s tied to a dream of mine.



*(Blog Reader Question) Who is a non-athlete who amazes you with their gift, be it music, writing, acting, etc?

John Mayer can play the crap out of the guitar!

8 comments:

Mike said...

Love the interviews Brianna. Saw you compete in Birmingham. Be interesting for us Brits if you can get any of our athletes to share their thoughts with you.

One question if you do.
Michael Johnson is quite tough on the UK athletes, says our funding rewards mediocrity. What do you and they think?

All the best for the World Champs.

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Stephen said...

Wilqi, you have to be kidding me. Brianna owes us nothing. While you can request for her to interview someone, you can't expect her to interview whoever you want her to. She's not getting paid. She's a professional athlete, not a journalist.

Also, there's only so much she can do/ask. She can't control how detailed their responces are, and they may not want to answer a million questions either.

I've enjoyed all of the interviews so far. I appreciate Brianna going out of her way to do something fun/interesting for track fans.

Bianca said...

WHOA! I was going to say he looked like my husband, Wentworth Miller.

:)

Arie Jones said...

Decathletes are sweet! I think the funniest part is when he says he'd probably be taking a nap if he wasn't dedicating all his time to sport =]

Brianna said...

@Mike...this time around I won't be able to. perhaps some time in the future though.

@Wiiqi...is my name Anderson Cooper? Last time I checked I'm not on assignment from CNN. My actual job here is to compete. Anything else you get is a bonus.

@Stephen...THANK YOU!

@bi...i know, right. haha, it was the first thing i thought when I met him.

@Arie...I know. He took that question in a whole other direction. :)

Anonymous said...

Okay then..... to much pressure....lol

Interview Allyson Felix; Flight to Doha - check in - Flight to Abu Dhabi (Laureus Sports Awards), Flight back to Doha "Back to Business". Is that youth or talent?

I am aware of what it takes to prep for competition after travel. And Anderson Cooper, God bless can do more than 1 thing at a time. Help Haitians!

Brianna said...

God Bless Anderson Cooper and all the work he does. (not to mention he's just plain fabulous)

God Bless Brianna for writing interesting stuff about athletes in her own free time.

God Bless America, a free country where we are able to read and pay attention to what interests us!