Monday, April 21, 2008

Mt. Sac


I have competed at the Mt. Sac relays for the last 14 years…ever since I’ve been running track. All throughout my high school years, college, and now as a professional, it has continued to be one of my favorites meets of the year. I enjoy it so much now because of the familiarity and the opportunity for my friends and family to be able to see me compete. This year was no different.

From now on I have to be careful with how I describe my performances because I feel as if I come off as more negative than I mean to be at times and a bit unconstructive in how I assess my performance. It’s one of the things I am working on—not being such a pessimistic person who is always focused on the results and not the process and chooses to see the bad without recognizing the good. At the same time however, there is nobody who expects more from myself than I do, and so sometimes I am my own worst critic because I know I am capable of much more. Point is…I’m trying to change. So let’s start with my first long jump competition of the year…

I was 3rd in the competition and I jumped 6.62(21’9?). The two people ahead of me both jumped 6.65(21’10). First of all, I don’t like losing. I do realize that winning is not always as important, especially so early in the year, but it still doesn’t make losing enjoyable. However, I do want to give a special shout out to one of my good friends Jenny Adams, who happened to be the gal who jumped 3 centimeters further than me. Mind you, losing to friends is no easier or more pleasant than losing to anyone else, but I respect what she is doing and how far she has come in such a short time. You see, most people know Jenny as a 100-meter hurdler. That’s because she’s been a very good one for many years and it has been her focus. But she has decided to long jump again, and to many people that might seem crazy when she hasn’t done anything notable in the event for probably about six years, but someone forgot to inform her that that mattered. I like that. I like it even more because it is similar to my goal of being a top sprinter after so many years of focusing primarily on the long jump. Some people might think that makes no sense. So what. I think what we both see is people succeeding in the events that we used to excel in. So why not us? Well I think Jenny has done a mighty fine job of picking up where she left off and so I am truly happy for her. (…Although I do not plan on letting her beat me ALL year!)

Anyway, I was pretty satisfied with my performance and I will give myself a pat on the back for having fairly consistent jumps with the exception of 2 that were nowhere on the board but still decent jumps nonetheless. The consistency aspect is something I have been working extremely hard at so that is definitely a step in the right direction. Last year at this meet I jumped a PR of 6.71 (22’1/2) and so the fact that this year’s mark was not as far would usually bother me some, BUT I am not going to let it. For starters, I started my long jump preparation much later this year because I was training more as a sprinter and stayed off the runway until much later in my training. I also feel like I was very capable of jumping that distance today. I know it didn’t happen, and that is really all that ever counts, but the ability is there for sure. My series of jumps were better than last year as well. So there were definitely some positives and some things to grow on.

I’d also like to thank all my friends and family that came out to support me. This is the start to what I hope and pray is an extremely successful and fulfilling year. It warms my heart to know that so many of you are pulling for me and keeping me in your prayers.

16 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ms. Glenn,
Well, I happen to think you did just fine for such an early season meet.
I laughed when the announcer introduced you last for the Long Jump and gave the big build-up, because I remember you mentioning a certain recent indoor meet where that happened and the fact it gives you kinda “funny” feelings, lol.
You looked good in your leg of the 4 x 100m relay. Wow, what a line-up that was. Great to see Veronica Campbell-Brown and Alyson Felix run so well too; sorry, I know they’re competitors, but, hey, they looked good; uh, running too.
I always hate the fact they got the Long Jump on the west side and the Start/Finish on the east side (or am I turned around, lol), makes spectators have to choose events.
Wasn’t it something to see Ms. Demus come back from “maternity leave” like that?
Think us track fans are set for a great year. And that you’ll be part of the hyper competitive year.
See, the rest works. It’s no different from the distance guys; its stress the system, RECOVERY, repeat.
Thanks for adding to a great event at Mt. SAC Ms. Glenn.
Daniel.

White Flower said...

Bri, you did wonderfully! I can't wait for the remainder of the season...

Unknown said...

I really enjoyed watching your leg of the 4X100 meters on flotrack. I really wish they would start covering some field events.

Anonymous said...

I saw you long jumping. Your abs really are amazing.

J-Dub said...

Did you feel better after having some time off? I know your body probably appreciated it.

Brianna said...

I did enjoy the little break and if I was being completely honest...could probably have used a little more. But I wanted and needed to jump and I am happy that the results were what they were.

Albert Butler said...

glad ur still jumping, i thought u may have given up on that... ur hard work will pay off... i'm proud of how far you have come in regards to ur outlook... (btw, ur blog on "diversity training" in ore went national... fox did it... ur blog was better ;>

albert
happy bday mama, much luv!

Anonymous said...

Great job Brianna! What leg did you run in the 4X100 and what was your split?

anonymousnupe said...

Will you please stop with the awe-inspiring pics already! Ok. We get it! You're a goddess. Don't you think we already feel bad enough with our puny little thighs and undefined abdominals?! I mean, dang! And I'm a married man! I can't be caught staring for hours on end at your taught waistline and smooth, rippling curves! In the name of Jesus I rebuke thee!!!

Now that that's outta the way, NICE!

Jackie E. said...

Congrats Bri on the LJ result. I know things will only go up from here on in!!

Jackie E. said...

LOL @ anonymousnupe!

Anonymous said...

Congratulations on your respectable showing at Mt. Sac. Although you didn't win, you should be more than encouraged by the result. I mean, it was your first meet jumping and you only missed placing first by essentially the length of your big toe. :-) I definitely see 6.7-6.8 meters in your future as long as you have the belief.

By the way, that photo is being inserted into my fantasy file under the caption "Mmm, mmm, mmm, have mersay!". LOL You may not have gotten first, but you get a perfect ten from me. :-) You are the epitome of the athletic woman.

G-

Anonymous said...

As long as you keep striving, you will succeed. Well wishes throughout! =)

Unknown said...

First, Happy Birthday, you did great. Only better times ahead. I agree with anonymousnupe, you are a goddess. Just keep the positive vibe going and it will carry you all the way through the season and to your dream!

Anonymous said...

If I may give a little advice for future meets....
don't wear teal underwear with barely-there black track bottoms. It's distracting.

Anonymous said...

*just for you Bianca!