Monday, January 11, 2010

Always a Competitor


I am competitive. I don’t mean in the sense that I like a good dose of healthy competition every once in a while, I’m talkin’ about cutthroat. If there is something to do and doing that something produces a winner and a loser…it’s on. So I’m attributing knowing this about my personality as to why I just haven’t felt like myself lately. Perhaps getting off my chest will help.

Last week it started with me coming up short in a game of air hockey. I NEVER lose at air hockey. Like, never. For years I have been talking a whole lot of game to friends, dates, and strangers alike, but I always back it up. I don’t care if you are a macho man with an ego the size of Texas or my 80-year-old grandmother…I bring the heat. But last week I lost and it’s been bugging me ever since. I’m not sure if it was lack of concentration because I have become complacent in winning, or the fact that I had on a mini dress that prevented me from getting in the proper stance, but whatever the reason I was a goal short.

Adding insult to injury, last night some fellow athletes and I had Game Night. What better way to spend a Saturday night than with a little Cranium. Word to the wise: If you like playing games just to enjoy time spent with friends and not take things too seriously, don’t play with a group of athletes. Well, needless to say, my team came in second. All day I’ve been beating myself up over not knowing that the sensosketch drawing was “clothesline” or that Lyndon Johnson was elected to the Senate by less than 100 vote victory margin. Idiot!

I’m not sure if I’m halfway normal or completely off my rocker. Are there others who are secretly competitive but just don’t let it show? You smile and congratulate the winner but secretly you are seething that your teammate couldn’t guess the humdinger version of “We will rock you.”

I just want to make sure I’m not alone. I also want to find a few other people who’d like to challenge me in air hockey. Who’s game?

18 comments:

Diandra Ann said...

okay... I am the CHAMPION of foosball! Like I NEVER lose... and then... one day... my friend Javier beat me by one goal. I was soooo mad! Not only did I refuse to play with him again, but I didn't speak to him for like 2 hours. He thought it was hilarious... I was totally serious. Dont know if that proves that you are normal or just makes me crazy too...

brit brat said...

you forgot to mention who you lost air hockey to. I think that part is really important as to why you hate life these days.

Brianna said...

@diandra...let's just say we're normal.

@brit...the "who" isn't really an important part of the story.

Bianca said...

I'll take you AND Brit with my eyes closed after being spun around 100,000,000 times. Yeah, I went there. Y que?

brit brat said...

B, I think you under estimate the skills....I'm like Brianna times 5!

L Boogy said...

Brianna, ill be in AZ next week. I challange you to air hockey any where and any time!

Matthew T. said...

You win some, you lose some. I think the competitive spirit can take a whole lot out of people who like to compete in sports to the point where people take things way too seriously. I like this post a lot, great job.

Matthew Tang

Brianna said...

@bianca...i'm positive i have beat you before.

@L boogy...I live in Cali!

@matthew...you're right. and then they bring guns into the locker room over a card game!

Anonymous said...

Brianna no reason to be single girl! Ill marry you.

Diandra Ann said...

Does someone ALWAYS comment on your single-ness on EVERY blog?

Brianna said...

yes...apparently it is my most defining characteristic. smh... :)

The Gamelord said...

Brianna, I think you are perfectly sane. Just goes to show that you have the heart of a champion. I mean, why play, if not to win? Like I always say, not winning is for losers. :-)

Daniel said...

Ms. Glenn,
All I keep thinking is "What a cute dress!"
Uh, is that a mark against my "manhood", lol?

Really though, my girl would look nice in that too.

On second thought, she'd look TOO cute ... and Dad don't need any more of THAT goin' on, lol!

Anonymous said...

@ Sand Jumper "yes...apparently it is my most defining characteristic. smh... :)"

Just don't confuse Anonymous with Anonymous because it wasn't me who posted that!! He can have you! I prefer smoke signals (I think).

Unknown said...

I once took a CHARITY basketball game a little too seriously...a good friend of mine always finds a way to remind me. I just hate to lose...I feel your pain.

Jennie Finch said...

Bri, I like to think we are normal! Amen sister!!! Well it is around here. Its terrible. Oh, I lost to Casey bowling the other day and I am still bitter! It is in our blood, its not our fault! I do however envy people sometimes when they can play for fun. I/We do not know the meaning of "for fun." Instantly, in the empty bowling alley Casey and I picked out our balls and set them down from then on, it was game on. Sweaty palms, pits, and minimum interaction the rest of the way! Except my shouts that are hereditary from the ole' Bev, and my arms reaching to the sky when I picked up the spare! Oh, don't marry an athlete! :) Poor Ace! So much for family "fun" outings.

Love you tons and Love your Competitiveness! I am smart enough to say lets just not even play air hockey next time I'm at the OTC! Let's go eat in complete happiness Bri Bri! :)
xo

Jennie Finch said...

Oh and cute dress! :)

ReeRee said...

Ok, so I'm a lil late, but definitely game for some air hockey! Raymond and I have a never ending battle that resurfaces whenever there is an air hockey table present. We're also in SD, so let's DO this! :)
(note: I let him think he is better than me...)

Arika Wells