Monday, July 13, 2009

Public Transportation

I admit... I’m a little scared of public transportation. Being from southern California will do that to you. Nobody gets on mass transit to go anywhere. You get in your car, by yourself, and you go. In Europe, however, it’s really not that easy. Most places we fly into, but sometimes you are forced to hop on the local bus, train, or trolley and navigate your way around (in a foreign language no less). But sometimes even when I know it’s the easiest and most cost effective way to get somewhere, I still fight it. Take, for instance, when I landed in Cologne, Germany where I am based for the month. I was told you could take the train from the airport and get off at the main station, which was a mere couple blocks from where our apartment was located. Instead I took a taxi. A 15-minute taxi ride that cost me 30 euros and still didn’t drop me off right in front of where I was going. When I went to explore the train station the next day, I realized that it really was less than 5 minutes away and that the cost from there to the airport was 2 euros and 40 cents. Lovely.

Well, today I am happy to tell you that I am riding through the German countryside on my way to Switzerland on a train. Sure, it will take me 5 hours, compared to the 1 hour to fly into Zurich, but being that Zurich is an hour away from where I need to be and the whole arriving at the airport early, flying there, and then waiting for a ride, it’s almost comparable. Not to mention that I’m going big time and riding first class. That means super comfy seats, wireless internet, a waitress that brings you food and drinks if you’d like, as well as the ability to walk around without waiting for the seatbelt sign to be turned off. You seriously can’t beat it. I’d like to think that I’m a first class kind of gal but right now my funds only allow me to experience that luxury on the train. But guess what? The trains over here beat an airplane in terms lavishness by far. In fact, take a look at the picture I snapped two days ago of the “business class” section on my flight. You know what the only difference was between where I was sitting and them? That blue curtain and a hard piece of bread. Suckers!

8 comments:

Bianca said...

Yay! I'm glad you're having a nice time AND blogging :) I miss you so much and I pray for you daily. Hurry home to San Diego ;)

Deaulivery said...

First class sometimes differentiates between top 3 and top top 10, so just comparing this, always be inspired by landscapes and think of what's ahead, you will create your own 1st class no matter where you are. But I'm sure the service must have been a little better. Be in God's league of champions! cheers and blessings!

Jasmine said...

Look at you!! You're so high brow...don't get too big a head in Europe and come back all Dat is not possibul! ;)
xoxo

melanie said...

lol. you're a hot mess, bri. i will have you know, however, that i am all caught up and even though i may very often have NOTHING of import to say, i will always comment, so you know i'm here. :o)

i guess this was one of those times i had nothing important to say.

lol.

i love you! keep us posted on lucerne :o)

j buck said...

Trains are the best in Europe! I once took a train from Milan to Florence and then to Rome a few days later. First class compartment, just me and the wife of the Ambassador to South Africa. A very nice white woman, in our own compartment. We both sat there thinking the other did not speak English until the very end of the trip when we discovered we should have been chatting the whole trip. Oh well.

Brianna said...

oh my goodness, my three best friends all commented on the same post! thank you for keeping up with little ol' me.

brit brat said...

just do me a favor and don't wonder in to any hostiles....

Anne said...

It is quite normal for us Germans to use public transport. It's not the big evil... Try it ;-)

I hope you enjoy your time in Cologne. If you have time you have to visit the Cologne Cathedral (Dom) and some of the great museums. My favourite museum is the chocolate museum, where you can try fresh chocolate from the chocolate fountain!