Tuesday, July 7, 2009

Lunchables...

Over the weekend I had a conversation with my best friend about boys. One might wonder why I am almost 30 and still referring to the opposite sex as “boys”… I don’t know, but I’m sure there is a reason. Anyway, we went through all of my past loves, relationships, and flings over the past 10 years and made note of what that particular person brought to the table that I appreciated and valued. They say that each and every person comes into your life for a reason and so I suppose it’s important to make sure you take the time to understand just what that reason really is. All of my exes are no longer, but I can still appreciate them and what they brought to my life, as well as the person they helped me to become.

As I sat and went down the list with my friend, I must admit that I did get stuck on 1 or 2 names. Anyone remember what the heck I was doing with my love life back in 2005?! Yea, I’d like to forget too. But there was still that relationship where I learned the value of compromise, the guy that taught me that every disagreement didn’t need to be an argument, the one who showed me that I should wait to have my car door opened, the list goes on and on. At this age, I take dating far more seriously. Not necessarily the casual date I might go on, but the actual relationships I will let myself be a part of. Through trial and error I have learned what works for me and what I need to stay far, far away from. It would be nice if I could go through my list and choose the best qualities from all those men, and combine them into one hot hunk of a man. My friend described it as creating your perfect little snack bite when you’re eating lunchables. Nobody wants to sit there and just snack on crackers, or only pop pieces of lunch meat into their mouth. But…when you get the cracker, the piece of meat, and top it off with some cheese, that’s a pretty awesome snack bite! I just wish I’d be able to do that with men. The combinations seem much more appealing!

In all fairness though, some of these men are really great guys…they just weren’t right for me. And I’m sure that if given the opportunity they’d like to break up my own qualities and pick one or two to make their own lunchable date with. Which ones do you think they’d leave behind??!

9 comments:

Brianna said...

credit to bianca for thinking of lunchables and for creating the green curtains! ;)

Slim Jackson said...

Ya know, I'm kinda mad I never thought of this analogy...and I used to love lunchables! I can't speak on what qualities they'd leave behind, but I can say I've said the same thing looking back at relationships past with the good, the bad, and the ugly. Each person had a couple highly desirable qualities that were ultimately outweighed by the bad. Hmm, come to think of it. I think I'ma make a new and more reasonable wish list.

Jon Lustig said...

Well you're only about 25 years late with that idea. Or have you never seen Weird Science?
It's funny, I'm sure everyone has a story about being set up with a friend of a friend 'who's perfect for you, she's a and b and c and d' and it turning out to be a bigger disaster than the Northridge earthquake. Most of my more successful relationships have been with girls I might have told you didn't sound very promising if you'd tried to sell me on them. Then as I said there are the ones with the girl you think would be perfect for you, which are seemingly always great for about 2 weeks before they go down hill without you ever really being able to figure out why. My life anyway, hopefully your mileage seriously varies in the other direction.

anonymousnupe said...

Green curtains? Where? What'd I miss?

I thought you were about to go in a whole 'nother direction with this metaphor. I was thinking you were going to contrast your past relationships--the snacks--to that "perfect" six-course meal that's in your future. LOL!

But I don't know you well enough to even begin to answer your question. I just wanted to chime in 'cause it's been three days since I was able to comment anew on your blog.

Jon Lustig said...

Almost missed this: "All of my exes are no longer?" Anything you'd like to tell us? Keeping in mind statute of limitations of course. ;)

Bianca said...

Hmmm, what a brilliant friend!!!

Brianna said...

@ slim...the list can only have 2 physical attributes on it!

@ jon... I've never seen that movie.

@nupe...that analogy is nice as well. baby steps though...

@bianca... touche.

Anonymous said...

You made me hungry for a snack!!

Daniel said...

Ms. Glenn,
Pretty interesting analogy (might even be an allegory, uh, ...never-mind).
But, you left out the best parts; what are the meanings of the symbolism's?
I'm just hopin' to get above being stale crackers and a can of flat Coke (Registered Trademark).