1. Friends are the family you get to choose. Make sure you choose wisely. These people will help shape you into the person you are to become. Luckily for me, I am a good person and I know just who to thank.
2. Always travel with a clean pair of underwear and a toothbrush. There is nothing worse then having unexpected travel delays or lost luggage and you are without these two things. Trust me.
3. Buy a MAC computer. Once you go mac, you never go back.
4. When a person shows you who they really are, believe them. Don’t go by their words, or what kind of person you want them to be, or think you can change them into…believe what you see.
5. If you have an athletic kid, see if they are any good at tennis. They might as well be paid well for their superb athletic ability.
6. Understand that it’s cool to have your own sense of style, but still try and think ahead…to what it will look like in pictures a few years later.
7. Don’t ever put sun-in in your hair…at least if your hair is like mine and you have my skin color. Orange, fried hair is not the business.
8. No matter how much you like the spotlight, don’t sing solo’s in the church play or the school talent show if you CAN’T sing.
9. If at all possible, make sure you have health insurance and dental insurance.
10. Sometimes the people you love so dearly will not be here as long as you expect them to be. Make sure you cherish people in the present.
11. Understand that he more than likely has his phone with him, and he didn’t accidentally leave it at home.
12. Designer jeans are worth every penny.
13. Always make time for your friends. Make the time, don’t just find it or squeeze it in.
14. Wear undergarments underneath your sweats at all times.
15. Date the kind of people you would want to marry. (I know this even if I may not practice it 100%)
16. Figure out early on if you are lactose intolerant. This will be helpful information at pizza parties and dessert time.
17. Read a lot of books. It increases your vocabulary and is a ton of fun.
18. Don’t give yourself highlights at home the day before high school starts. You just might resemble a lion…or a cheetah. Neither one is very desirable.
19. Control your obsessions with people who play characters on a T.V. show. For example, you might not be very proud of yourself for wearing heart shaped earrings with a picture of Dylan McKay after you’ve graduated middle school.
20. Know that your heart won’t stay broken.
21. Don’t stuff your bra…not with tissue paper anyway.
22. Find a church that you really like and enjoy so that it is something you look forward to every week.
23. Put your energy where your heart is. No matter what other people may think you should do with your life, at the end of the day do what makes you happy.
24. Own a Blackberry. They’re awesome.
25. Know that you can’t trick your mother by putting another 6th grader on the phone pretending to be an adult.
26. Trust that owning high quality, expensive purses, is an investment…a good one at that!
27. Pick two physical qualities in a man (or woman) that are desirable and forget about the rest. Yes, a perfect 10 would be nice but, a. they don’t really exist, and b. they are probably entirely too full of themselves if they do.
28. To have good friends you must be one.
29. Always be your own #1 fan. Nobody knows you better than you know yourself and if you don’t think you’re fabulous, why should anybody else?
Happy Birthday to me...and may I keep getting wiser as the years go by!