Wednesday, February 1, 2012

Ouch!!


I have a hard time sleeping soundly, especially when I've crossed 37 time zones and my body doesn't know AM from PM any longer. I virtually miss a whole days sleep on my way to Europe, I'm supposed to stay up all day once I get there to try and acclimate myself even though I feel like the walking dead and my eyelids close for 3.7 seconds each blink, and when I do finally make it to bedtime more tired than is humanly possible and expect myself to sleep for at least 17 hours straight, I'll wake up 3 hours later with absolutely no intention of dozing back to sleep. It's an awful feeling because you know your body needs the rest, but you have absolutely no idea how to give it what it craves.

For me, I've found that my only hope is trying to drug myself. For a few nights post travel, I take ambien in hopes of finding my Z's. The sissy stuff...melatonin, Tylenol pm, counting sheep, warm milk...won't do anything except give me false hope. Ambien will surely knock me out, and if I'm lucky I will stay that way uninterrupted for the next 8 hours or so.

Last night started off beautifully. Unfortunately, in my effort to properly hydrate myself after my long travel, my body's need to relieve itself took over the strong effects of my drugs. So I woke up. Kind of. I probably would have never recalled my middle of the night interruption had I not woken up this morning with an intense pain on my forehead and a huge lump to accompany it. "what in the world?!... I thought. But then it vaguely came back to me... I had got up to use the restroom and I had ran into a wall. Being in a new environment in pitch black darkness, one might think that I progressed cautiously with my hands in front feeling the way. But no. My forehead surely found the corner of the wall first, and it was brutal. It must have hurt at the time but I guess I made the decision to not acknowledge it so that I could hurry back to sleep and not waste my drugs. It worked. Now my head just really hurts...






9 comments:

Pete said...

No worries.....probably an improvement. :)!

LOL!

Daniel said...

Ms. Glenn,
Just imagine … if the toilet seat had be up …

Daniel "Spel Chek" said...

"been"

Treadstone Director Daniel said...

Ms. Glenn,
Trying to follow your results is akin to finding Jason Bourne. We thought you were in Russia. But a meet in Linz (that’s in Austria by the way, a slightly different place) has you winning the Long Jump. Tell, is it so? Listed 6.35, not super, but a win is a win, right?
That is if my squirt-microdot spy decoder ring translated the secret info correctly.

Anonymous said...

Just read about the great meet you had. Congratulations on your win!!

Anonymous said...

no wonder people can have sex and not remember it the next morning on that stuff (it probably wasn't as jarring as a smack on the head from a wall hard enough to leave a bump), I thought that might have been just hype, but I'm a believer now. (hmmmmm, there might be something there....)

Anonymous2 said...

Oh I love the start of the track season. Your detail and comments are priceless. Too bad there was no camera recording because this would have made AFV. Guglindoor should put a lot of pictures out on facebook, at least they did last year. The take good shots of the jumpers.

Anonymous2 said...

After a whole lot of searching here are some pictures from Gugl Indoor Meeting Linz

Username and password were already put in. I just clicked on login and it brings up the pictures.
http://isave.gepa-pictures.com/index.php?option=dosearch&category=all&page=1&datefrom=02.02.2012&dblang=english&string=%20Gugl%20Indoor%20Meeting,%20Linz

Anonymous said...

That's funny Ms. Glenn, two options next time. Wear Rugby head gear or put on a diaper. Don't hate on the diaper, if it is good enough for a crazy love sick astronaut it is good enough for you.