Monday, February 13, 2012

Don't Be Sorry...


There is no denying I've had a rough start to my 2012 season. I mean…I could deny it, but too many darn people know how to use the internet these days. Unfortunately this past weekend in New York was not the turnaround I had hoped for and after the meet I was just so darn frustrated that I was forced to do the only thing that made sense at the time…devour a cheeseburger, fries, and milkshake.

(sidenote: This random, hole in the wall, total dive of a place was located inside the uber-swanky Le Parker Meridian Hotel that we were staying at. It was literally hidden behind a curtain with no markings at all besides that tacky florescent hamburger with an arrow. All they served were burgers, fries, and shakes. Perfect. Why it was there, I have no idea. But seriously, one of the best hamburgers I've ever had.)

All jokes aside, it's a tough place to find myself in. I have big plans for this year and I know that the task in front of me is no easy one. I had hoped to start off strong this indoor season and continue to build on that foundation. But four meets in and I'm not anywhere near where I should be. Earlier today I was speaking with a trusted confidant about what my results were in my last few competitions and how New York capped off a completely lackluster indoor campaign. He responded with…"I'm sorry."

And as much as I wanted to go there...feeling sorry for myself, allowing my frustrations to build, beginning to get down about the state of my season thus far... I won't. So I told him the only time you need to say sorry is if I wake up on July 2nd and I'm not an Olympian. That's my goal for this year, that's what I write down each and every day when I wake up and before I go to bed to remind myself what I'm working towards, and ultimately that's all that matters to me in 2012. Yes, I want to do well during my competitions in February. Yes, I want to feel confident in my training and preparation thus far in the season. But if that's not what I'm experiencing, then I'll use this feedback to make the changes I need to make. But I won't be sorry. And neither should you...


11 comments:

Anonymous said...

Just curious - are you writing "I WANT to be an Olympian" or "I AM an Olympian"???

Only asking because I believe it should be the latter. Best of luck and I'm keeping you in my prayers.

Brianna said...

I agree... I AM.

Faith, Food and Fitness For Real said...

It's not how you start the race, but how you finish! Finish well, and keep your chin up! Keeping your eye on the "prize" is all that matters. 1Corinthians 9:24-27..keeping you in prayer

Bubba Gump Olymipic Jumping Academy said...

Well, you should have called me you stubborn mule! What's the point of having a mental coach if you are not going to talk to him!

First of all, stop F'ing writing down all this Olympic crap. If you were a guy, you'd be accused of stalking. This is not how you win the girls heart, by brow beating her over the head to love you! You have to take your time with her. She wants to romanced, little by little. Stop trying to get her in bed right away and get to know her! Talk to her, get to know her, slowly little by little know every flaw she has, know every wonderful thing about her. Get to know her soul and be her best friend first. She will give you the sweetness of her fruit this year after you have earned her love. She is not going to just let you jump all over her without you truly loving her soul and being her best friend. You haven't put in the time yet. More courting is needed. Stop acting like a chiawawa humping everyone's leg!

I'd rather have you with a cheeseburger a*s now than in July, so your jumps have been just fine.

You've been consistently jumping the same distances so far but the best thing is the board is not an issue for you with very few missed jumps.

"Indoors" is always the one eyed pea in a bag full of chocolate M&M's. What does that mean, it means what it means. Nothing! And so does indoors! There is something to be said for performing in an open air stadium. Feeling the wind in your hair, getting goosebumps on your arm as the announcers voice echoes though-out all the nooks and crannies of the venue. There is something about hurling yourself into the open air and pretending in your head you are going to just keep going and jump out of the stadium up into the clouds!

A little trick I used to use which will help you, is to add a few extra pounds of weight (it doesn't take much, just a little), attached to your body in training around your waist so it's central to your core (not legs, it needs to be central). Jump normal, 6.4, 6.5's. When you take the weight off you will be jumping 7.

I know everyone around you, family, friends, other tracksters, drool the word Olympics, Olympics, Olympics and you think you need to as well. Just remember, those who "have it", whatever that one thing in life is, talk about it the least! They just do it!

Good luck with your new dating strategy and don't be a stranger chili cheese fries face!

BGOJA

Anonymous said...

Man Bri,
NY was a bummer. you are so much better than that, and we all know it. So get over it fast. Funky burgers always help, but get the mental part out and flushed. As Bubba stated, the INDOOR is really the Outhouse door?? I love track but great indoor prowess never produces as will the outdoor campaign for being considered as " Olympian, or Legendary, etc... any more.
So bust a long one in your first outdoor meet and all is forgotten from this IN season.

Allen W said...

It is what happens in July that really matters now isn't it!!!!

L Givens said...

I was actually in NY for Milrose and saw you competing. Just by the look on your face after your jumps I had a feeling it wasn't going well. If it makes you feel better ...my jumpers never jump well at the armory either...lol! Seriously! My 24 foot guys barely crack 7 meters there. I don't know what it is but I never expect big jumps there.

Anonymous said...

Funny you mention bad jumping in the Armory, Im always baffled at the competitions their. Ladies, seem to have lower marks at the armory when we are there. Then we get to Arkansas, and all hel&*l breaks loose with PRs left and right. Just a bonanza everywhere. Maybe jumping Millrose is great for the pr/marketing, but it sure inhibits some.
Keep on steppin Bri. I got an appointment in London with the "Worlds greatest track team". you better be on that plane!

Daniel said...

Ms. Glenn,
I eat spaghetti (and lots of other really good stuff I make) all by myself, all the time.
Thanks for reminding me!

Dusts Dad said...

Does anyone know where my son has gone? Dusty, Dusty Dude, where are you my son? Mom is worried about you.

Dust's Dad

Daniel said...

Ms. Glenn,
If I’m putting
“Why are elevators so awkward?!”
With
“gosh darn you Brits and your stinkin beans!!!”
finishing with
"lol...at least it wasn't incriminating!"
Do I have an accurate picture?