Monday, July 12, 2010

Diamonds and Chitlins

The European Circuit covers a wide spectrum of meets. The top tiered meets are now part of The Diamond League Series and in this series you’re awarded points for finishing first, second, and third. The eight people with the most points at the end get to participate in the Diamond League final that happens at the end of August. But of course there are other meets to participate in as well. Some of these meets are really nice with great accommodations, food that is edible, and in cities you can find on a map. Some others…not so much. Among ourselves, we call these bottom level meets the Chitlin Circuit.

I’ve done my share of bottom level meets over the years and let’s just say it makes you grateful for high thread count sheets and discernable meat. This year though, I’ve been able to participate in all the Diamond League meets that have had my event and have done well enough to be tied for 1st in the points thus far. I was looking forward to the next Diamond League meet, in Paris, where my leg would be feeling a little bit better and I’d have a few more days of recovery under my belt. But it seems I have a case of counting chickens before they’re hatched apparently. I mistakenly thought that my performances so far this season, along with my place in the points race would guarantee me a spot in the meet. But no.

They’ve put me on a waitlist. That’s basically the same as sitting at home on a Friday night waiting for your phone to ring around 8pm for dinner plans. It sucks, and you know you’re better than that, but you keep your phone in clear view at all times anyway. (I’m totally kidding…ladies, don’t EVER accept dinner plans the night of.) I’m well aware of the fact that I should be in the meet and if I pleaded my case to you here, you’d completely agree with me. But that isn’t the way our world works sometimes. For all the objectivity that comes with the sport of track and field, there is a lot of subjectivity at play.

So not only do I not have a chance to compete in Paris for good prize money, try and earn more points to guarantee myself a spot in the Diamond League final, and eat wonderful French cuisine, I must pack my bags and take a 4:30 am flight to a city I would never be able to find on a map. In fact, I’m not even sure of the country. But I’ll be there…competing for peanuts.

If you can’t tell, I’m a little bitter about this whole situation. But if I’m being honest (and I try very hard to do so on this blog, if you couldn’t tell), it’s simply a case of me being dealt the bad hand this time. Yes, this time I “deserve” it, but has there been times when I was in top meets when other, more deserving jumpers sat at home? Probably. It doesn’t make me feel any better about it, but I guess that’s just life sometimes. I just want to compete at my best against the best jumpers in the world. But it seems that’s going to have to wait a while.

EDIT TO ADD: seems I just might be going to Paris afterall... OUI!!

13 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hummm...?!?! Really don't know what to say. From reading your blog entry...I can FEEL your....(searching for a word...)...."Pisstivity!" (Don't look that up....I don't think its in Webster's). Anyway, do what you gotta do in the mean time and just do your very best.

~YeaYa

Jasmine said...

I love you.
Can we Skype?
Even though I'm a vegetarian, I'll happily eat chitlins with you.

Allen W said...

Just a note of encouragement from Minnesota as you continue with your adventures. Seems you did pretty well in one of your meets (4th Place). Any chance of photos from these events. And what is the attendance like at these meets. Thanks and Good Luck Allen W

Bianca said...

Chitlins? I snorted a laugh when you said that.

Ok, ok, truth: I didn't know chitlins were "chitlins" until I read it in context. I thought chitlins were like a jewel or something related to a diamond ;)

Anonymous said...

Honestly, I wish you stop complaining. After all this is your job and profession right? It should be an honor to be in Europe expenses paid. I know tons of jumpers that would pay to take you place so learn some humility. Put your head down and put the numbers on the board consistently and things will fall in place. You often speak about god and church but your blog entries smell of ungratefulnesss. I don't think this deserves a spot on the front page of track and filed news. Stop using the " someone please feel sorry for me" antics and put the work in.

Bianca said...

Anonymous: stop hiding behind anonymity! If you're gonna complain about Brianna's complaints, at least have the cajones to state who you are. Good grief! Who knew we were suppose to enamored with our job 24/7?!

Bri: Congrats on making it to Paris. Just to let you know, it's because I prayed. Annnd, I also put up the green curtains in your room ;)

Daniel said...

Well I will certainly watch you eat your Chitlins, while I eat my vegetarian cuisine. Well, come to think about it, I will probably turn my head… Hey, come on now. A Win is a Win! You are a top notch professional and no matter the event, you will put on a happy face and go kick but! When does winning get old? It doesn’t and we expect nothing less than perfection! Go out there and show them that you belong and their subjectivity is skewed in the wrong direction. “Victory is always possible for the person who refuses to stop fighting”(author unknown) . So out there and perform and win baby, win!

Brianna said...

@anonymous...seriously, nobody asks you to read this, do they? perhaps you forget that while this may be a sport you watch for entertainment, this is my JOB. meaning, it's how i pay my bills and eat food. so you know where i was going if i didn't get in to paris? a meet that pays 400 euros. I am NOT making a living like that. so if some other jumper has competed well all season and would like to compete for that, by all means let them come.

@daniel...i see your point, but my point still applies. i love to win but i am still in europe for two months to make a living that needs to sustain me all year. this is not a hobby i do. people tend to forget that.

@bi...love you bestie. thanks for having my back. :)

Anonymous said...

First, if i were not tryong to help i wouldnt have sent the first post or now the second. Again this was your choice of occupation. 400euros or 500+usd is more than a lot of folks make in a week. Calling the smaller meet chitlins circuit may sound funny but I would study up on why blk folks eat them (slavery) or why struggling musicians back in the day called there tours the chitlins circuit. They certainly were not making 400 euros, paid accomodations etc.I'm pretty sure you wouldn't disrespect the meet director to his face? What if he read this entry? What would be the impact on other US athletes if he read this? Being a professional athlete is never glamorous. But keep you head down, work hard and god will bless you beyond measure.

Anonymous said...

@ anonymous 500USD a week for 52 weeks does not compare to trying to make as much as you can in 2 months to sustain you for the entire year. I think you are categorizing 2 different types of athletes in the same way. There are the ones right out of college with obvious ability that would like to see europe for free or very cheap while they try to maximize potential for a few years (this was me 8 years ago). Then there is the group that have already past that phase and are trying to make a living from the sport for as long as they can before they have to move on. I think Brianna is in this category (Brianna let me know if if i'm wrong). BTW Its her blog, i think she can say and do whatever she wants on here.

Anonymous said...

Unfortunately, her blog is some folks introduction to track and field and serves as there only outlet of information into what it really is. With that said, choose your choice of words wisely. Again, I'm just anonymous...

Anonymous said...

"Anonymous" if you don't like what she has to say on HER FRICKING BLOG....go click on a blog where there are dancing fairys, rainbows and the whole world is perfect...then you can go and bite a brick, AND KICK ROCKS WITH OPEN TOE SANDLES! GET A LIFE...! Who are you to tell someone on THEIR blog to (in short) stop complaining? You don't know WHAT she goes through on a day to day basis, but she does share with those of us that appreicates what she does and wants to give "SUPPORT" to her. Stop being a turd. You don't like what she has to say...don't read it or DON'T LEAVE A COMMENT.

~YeaYa

"Sorry Bri. Had to get that off my chest!!"

Anonymous said...

How does Maggi keep getting invited to these meets. I thought the Diamond league wasn't inviting drug cheats? Dwain Chambers never gets a lane...but This Maggi bitch is always around.