Friday, April 9, 2010

I'm Not So Lucky


I usually get a deep tissue massage once or twice a week. It’s part of my regimen just like lifting weights is. What it is not is a relaxing luxury, complete with soft waterfalls and soothing aromatherapy oils. Yet, any time a gen pop (remember that term?!) hears of these weekly appointments, there response is always the same. “Oh, you’re so lucky.”

Don’t get me wrong. I’m a very blessed individual. I spent a good four hours outside today soaking up the California sunshine and playing in a little dirt, and there wasn’t a single soul in the world that wanted me to be doing anything different. But once 4:30 rolled around and I hopped up on that table, “lucky” was the last thing I felt. I felt pain. Lots of it actually. I felt like muscles were being asked to be split in two perhaps or leave their preferred resting place and dwell somewhere else. And they fought it the whole way. They begged to be able to stay in their nice little knots but the masseuse was having none of it. Not on his table.

I usually clench my teeth the entire time and sometimes I even forget to breathe. How is it possible for something to be relaxing when you aren’t breathing?!! So the next time you visit a fancy little day spa, try asking them to dig into your psoas muscle for a little relaxation. A tight IT band is a lovely form of leisure as well. If at all possible, ask for the elbow there. These days, when I go to a day spa I just want to be tickled. Bonus points if I fall asleep and begin to drool. To me, drool = lucky.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

I just got a deep tissue today which was dumb, seeing as how I compete tomorrow...but I needed it...Never felt so much pain as a deep tissue massage...but an ice bath and day of rest later...I should be better for it. ;)

Fab said...

Lol you just made my day. I couldn't help but reminisce about the good ol' days in college and those deep tissue massages.

P.S. Never get one 3 hours before a race. The pain lol.

Anonymous said...

Whenever I get a deep tissue massage, I hurts like bitch while it's happening. But when it's over I feel like I can lift a house. =)

Slim Jackson said...

I remember the deep and painful massages.lol. I miss them in a roundabout way. It's been years since an ice bath. I forgot what those feel like and could go the rest of my life without remembering.

Anonymous said...

That's why i normally use my foam rollers.. I can scream out in pain like a little girl in the comforts and seclusion of my own home..Daniel

brit brat said...

Masseuse = those with no schooling who give happy endings

Massage Therapist = educated professional in the art of massaging

gotta represent for my peoples!! also, if you ever want the relaxing 'tickle' massage, you know where I live!

Brianna said...

oops! sorry brit. :)

I'm glad all of my fellow athletes agree with me. Sort of quiet on the gen pop side though...

Anonymous said...

You're funny!! :O)

~YeaYa

Bianca said...

Hahahahahaha!!! Only Brittany!