Wednesday, September 1, 2010

Coincidence


"Coincidences are God’s way of remaining anonymous
"

Right now I am currently on the coast of Croatia. When I wake up in the morning and look out my window, this is what I see.


It’s not a bad way to start your day, let me tell you. Split, Croatia happens to be the place where I will end my season this year, competing in the Continental Cup. Based on how they choose the team for this meet, I wasn’t even supposed to be here and until a couple of weeks ago I thought I would be back in the states by now. Instead I’m in one of the most beautiful places in the world, spending a week in paradise and getting one last opportunity to jump in sand this season.

A couple of weeks ago you may remember a post I wrote about not competing in London. At that point, I didn’t know if I’d have any more meets and I was pretty bummed the meet I thought I’d have was not an option. I was sad…I moped…I complained…and literally the day of the meet I just decided to be over it. Bad moods and depressing attitudes can be toxic, and I wasn’t helping anyone, namely myself, by choosing to wallow in mine. So that night, while my competitors suited up to jump in cold and rainy conditions, I went out with friends and shared some pizza and wine.

Later that very same night, I got a text from the girl who was supposed to be competing for America at Continental Cup saying she wouldn’t be going and that it looked like the spot was mine. I just shook my head at the coincidence of it all. It was as if my not being in London had been replaced by something bigger and better! I know some people would be just fine with calling that a stroke of luck or that the timing of it all was some incredible fluke, but not me. Things happened as they did, in the order they did, at the precise timing they did, for a reason.

This will be my last meet of the season and I couldn’t imagine a better place to end it. I always like to take what I call “Postcard Pictures” whenever I visit somewhere really beautiful and use them as screensavers because it is a constant reminder of how blessed I am to be here. Right now I’m having a hard time choosing which one to use and I’ve only been here two days! Here are a couple in case you want to cast a vote…





8 comments:

Anonymous said...

These are some awesome pics you managed to snap. Make no mistake it is a blessing that you are there in Split, so compete like you know you can. Also, you're soo right about the toxicity of negative thoughts. Those things can literally kill you, but thats another issue. Anywho, I hope that favor looks towards your direction on the runway this week. Jump well.

Anonymous2 said...

Keep building that resume' for the next career, something in world travel.

Anonymous said...

So no whining ...until the next time!

Daniel said...

My mom has always told me things happen for a reason and if you wait and trust on the lord, all things that happen are done under his guidance. So, trust that he is always in your midst. Always looking out for you and making sure you are well taken care of.. So, off you go, believe you are there for a reason to proclaim in his name the victory and set new highest for the meet. Good Luck.

anonymousnupe said...

Next-to-the-bottom pic! It shows all three levels, sea, mountain, sky/clouds, beautifully juxtaposed with each other. And--and I know this is just me--I like the way the three dark spots in the wave look like they could be something ominous approaching the beach from far out at sea. They actually look like what came to drag away the bad people when they died in the movie "Ghost." But like I said, that's probably just me.

#2 Fan said...

it's a toss up btwn pics 1 & 5

Anonymous said...

Bri, you are truly blessed. These are very beautiful pictures. I like picture #2. Good luck in the Continental Cup, I believe there is a reason God opened that door to you, so make the best out of it.

Marcus

steveburks said...

I vote for the second-from-the-top photo for screen saver. The one with the beam of sunlight on the water? PERFECT. The sunbeam is framed by those 2 poles on the shore even. Symmetry? Hello?