Tuesday, August 3, 2010

The Fall

It was like it was happening in a flash and in slow motion at the same time. I had hopped on a train with my friends and was being entertained by the fierce game of paper, rock, scissors that was taking place. Normally, I would be sitting or at the very least holding on to something but at this moment I was doing neither. So when the train lurched forward and Becky went to do her victory slap, I was caught off guard and either I plunged into her or she fell back into me. Whatever the case, neither one of us could stop ourselves. I was in the middle of a packed train on my bum with my legs in the air with a bunch of Germans pointing and laughing. Well, half the train was laughing and the other half was staring out the window as if they had no idea that two loud Americans had just fallen and were sprayed out on the floor. I've come to believe that this must be part of the German culture, to simply ignore things that don't concern you. Although you know who couldn't ignore me even though he tried? The guy who's leg I rested against after my fall. For some reason I thought I was leaning up against something other than a human being, so I stayed there for far too long dying of laughter and clutching my stomach until I felt something move. That's when I thought to glance behind me and realized that not only had I made a fool of myself, I was now using another person as a back rest. Of course he is politely staring out the window as if nothing has occurred and it's perfectly natural for someone to fall into him. Luckily for me, I had five friends with me and one take the fall right along side me. Otherwise, I might just be dead from embarrassment right now. Instead, I had the most intense laugh I've had in a long time. I think my soul needed that. My tailbone, on the other hand, did not.

5 comments:

Bianca said...

Yay!!! I love these types of posts. It makes me feel like I'm there with you.

PS I've tried skyping you 4 times!

Daniel said...

Ms. Glenn,
Or maybe (as I might – might – admit about myself) he simply was enjoying the close contact with an attractive woman. Liked your unintended “intimacy”.

I wouldn’t have moved either, lol!

steveburks said...

LOL @ "he is politely staring out the window as if nothing has occurred and it's perfectly natural for someone to fall into him." Daniel might be onto something with that one.

Unknown said...

hahahahahahaha! i miss you and becks already! ...and cara...and russ...good times 

Jasmine said...

Dying. I'm dying.